• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

PG &E Power Outages - Impact on Home Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Does anyone think solar or wind in a home system will save your freezer or grandma's oxygen generator? Ironic that fossil fuel is the best and cheapest alternative. So two things. The state needs to forbid people from suing the electric company, areas of high wind and fire danger should not require PGE to service new electric lines in undeveloped areas, you build there then create your own energy.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
AOC will run nationally on this premise. She has such a grip on the reality of the economy(not remotely) ...Local bar tender ain't even on the same level of a Starbucks Barista. What does that say about our country and the BS influence of "social media"?
You guys are so skeered of her. No worries. You've always got NC9.

Bert Craytor

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
You're talking stigma Bert and the thing with stigma is that people forget and life goes on and then back to normal.

Getting reasonable insurance in the SBNF is already the subject of many bitter debates and feelings and people are extremely fearful of fire... to the point of marking people who light a BBQ or smoke in their cars with a scarlet letter. But you can't blast people out of rural areas, urban forests, and other such communities.
I am not talking about stigma at all. There may be an issue with stigma, but no - that is definitely not what I am talking about. But I suppose I wasn't clear.

What I am talking about is the uncertainty of knowing for sure what investment and actions can guarantee that a "home in the woods" can be purchased without running into unexpected problems in the future. A large part of that uncertainty is investment into diesel or natural gas electric generators. It is very conceivable that the State of California will put the screws to using fuel powered generators in the future. Another large uncertainty is the insurance companies, who can be quite fickle in their policies. You might find reasonable insurance now, but can you N years down the road? Without insurance your risk almost everything. Not only that, forget about refinancing. What about further expansion of infrastructure such as roads? That is in jeopardy as well. What about further zoning and other regulations? This is not stigma, it is real consideration.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
AOC will run nationally on this premise. She has such a grip on the reality of the economy(not remotely) ...Local bar tender ain't even on the same level of a Starbucks Barista. What does that say about our country and the BS influence of "social media"? The ultimate example of "Cult of Personality" and how dangerous it is in modern times that such a demagogue can succeed? I have 2 dogs, one less than 6 months old and he has more common sense than this moron. Did I mention the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo?
I know two things. 1. this post is unnecessary and clearly political; and 2. AOC is a heck of a lot smarter and more educated than Mr. Rex. That bartender can reason circles around you.

Bert Craytor

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
And ruin the food in their freezers and refrigerators, close down schools and some business and services, not to mention all the damaged and destroyed foods and perishables at small restaurants and big and small grocery stores. Heck, they're having to close down the tunnel systems in some of the major bay areas because the lights and fans will go without power.

And paying for the damage is on them. Some perspective.
Speaking of food:

Imagine a city block, where every house has a diesel generator.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Does anyone think solar or wind in a home system will save your freezer or grandma's oxygen generator? Ironic that fossil fuel is the best and cheapest alternative. So two things. The state needs to forbid people from suing the electric company, areas of high wind and fire danger should not require PGE to service new electric lines in undeveloped areas, you build there then create your own energy.
Short term only--indirect costs of reliance on fossil fuels will continue to rise. But some refuse to look ahead.

Bert Craytor

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I know two things. 1. this post is unnecessary and clearly political; and 2. AOC is a heck of a lot smarter and more educated than Mr. Rex. That bartender can reason circles around you.
Of course AOC is smart. She is also a hypocrite. Her expressed views are idiotic. Tie that together: She is smart enough to sell her idiotic views to the public. That she believes what she professes must of course be called in to question by her personal activities. We could say the same about the Clintons, the Bidens and many other liberals. They are elitists who regard the public as a bunch of small ants they can live off. That is in fact their business, living off the ants. That is genuinely how they see the world. You would know that if you went to school and grew up with their kids. You would know the unadorned truth.

The world is not what you think.

And you take them seriously?

I'd much rather put my faith in Trump. He is the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks