• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

PG &E Power Outages - Impact on Home Value?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
"This Is The Third World": Up To 3 Million Californians To Lose Power As PG&E Begins "Unprecedented" Blackouts

As previewed last night, PG&E Corp., California's largest (bankrupt) utility, began shutting off power Wednesday to an unprecedented 3 million people in Northern California in the face of hot, windy weather that raises the risk of wildfires. While the high winds are forecast to subside by late Thursday, the company will undertake extensive inspections of its equipment before turning electricity back on, meaning outages could persist into next week. More than 3 million people may be eventually affected, based on city estimates and the average household size. The economic impact may reach $2.6 billion.

Half a million homes and businesses in Northern California have already lost power as PG&E orchestrates the biggest-ever intentional power shutoff to keep its lines from sparking blazes. The company was scheduled to shut service to another 234,000 customers in cities including Berkeley and Oakland at noon local time, but told city and county officials that those cutoffs will instead start Wednesday evening. Strong, dry winds that heighten the risk of wildfires are picking up later than forecast, the company said.

According to Bloomberg, never before have California utilities intentionally cut power to so many people for their own safety - and never has a shutoff affected such major metropolitan areas, even as the city of San Francisco and Silicon Valley appear spared. The undertaking is key to fairly new strategy by PG&E for preventing power lines from sparking another deadly - and costly - conflagration.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
So,
do you guys think this will be a regular thing, with the wind issue?

Or will it happen just this one time, and that'll be the end of it?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I have an inspection next week. Just confirmed with the owner. About a mile away from me. Their power went off last night (PG&E) while across the street the power stayed on (City of Ukiah power.)

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
So,
do you guys think this will be a regular thing, with the wind issue?

Or will it happen just this one time, and that'll be the end of it?

It happens every fall and has for the last tens of thousands of years. In SoCal they're called the Santa Ana winds (or some say the Santana (Satan) Winds.) It's just that now, climate change is causing dry brush and dead trees (bark beetles and other insects.) Plus more people and more power lines.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Pete said, I know two things. 1. this post is unnecessary and clearly political; and 2. AOC is a heck of a lot smarter and more educated than Mr. Rex. That bartender can reason circles around you.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You probably know a few more things than that Pete. As to the post being "political," California seems to lead the country in 'new' thought. They have been very proud of saving old growth and that lead to a general mis-management of their forests. But recognize that darn sun is beating down on the earth, causing all kinds of stuff to keep growing. Day after day, photosynthesis keeps going on. Then the stuff dies and drys out, all over the forest floor. You either management it, or you get the classic California wildfire, might be lightning or man made. Some how I don't think that is "political." Its politcal to develop a feel good aesthetic based around urban values and not consider the consequences when an inferno kills almost a hundred people.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
It happens every fall and has for the last tens of thousands of years. In SoCal they're called the Santa Ana winds (or some say the Santana (Satan) Winds.) It's just that now, climate change is causing dry brush and dead trees (bark beetles and other insects.) Plus more people and more power lines.
Yeah, the chaparral biome has nothing to do with it.

I meant,
will the electric company shut off the power this one time as a threat,

Or will you guys go through multiple power outages for the rest of the year as the electric company is claiming?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I wonder what happens if the state steps in and orders PG&E to turn the power back on?

Meanwhile there are prolly 3-4 pyromaniacs going on roadtrips and looking for opportunities to scratch their itch. So we'll probably still get the fires.

Unfortunately

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
That's what I was thinking too,
thanks George.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
They have been very proud of saving old growth and that lead to a general mis-management of their forests.
Old growth is the redwoods. That's not where the devastating fires are. They're in the urban forests and the wilderness areas.

* Oh, you must have meant we didn't rake the forests.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks