• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

PG &E Power Outages - Impact on Home Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Climate change, over building in areas not meant for it, over burdened resources and aging energy systems...result will be staggering costs , the nation chooses to live in the past and not plan for the future, and it can impact property values depending on area. USA opts for a massive military budget and scarce spending on aging infrastructure / energy , that said this utility company sounds like the worst .

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Are you "off the grid" or still supporting those fossil fuel electric generators? Asking for a friend......
Tell your friend that that is an idiotic question. We should be working toward reductions. I don't have to live in a cave and have a 0 carbon footprint to care about the future of the planet and want to work toward improving it. Tell you bud to get a grip!

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I like pie...

(In before the shutdown. )

Andrei Fin

Professional Status
State
California
Without decades of government subsidy for utilities, maybe we'd have efficient and affordable onsite (or localized) power generation by now.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Without decades of government subsidy for utilities, maybe we'd have efficient and affordable onsite (or localized) power generation by now.

What does that look like?

Batteries that don't explode and catch on fire and burn for days?

Every home with a waterfall for hydro power, because droughts don't happen?

A campfire in a cave?

Andrei Fin

Professional Status
State
California
What does that look like?

Batteries that don't explode and catch on fire and burn for days?

Every home with a waterfall for hydro power, because droughts don't happen?

A campfire in a cave?

We may never fully know, because there's not enough market incentive when you can get this cheap (I mean subsidized by the taxpayers) energy instead.

However I do know people who have solar panels with battery backup and it meets all their energy need. And this is California suburbia, not some preppers in Idaho.

Some utilities are working on this stuff too but you could imagine private companies stepping in if they could be competitive. https://earthtechling.com/con-edison-installing-small-localized-battery-systems-in-nyc/

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
We may never fully know, because there's not enough market incentive when you can get this cheap (I mean subsidized by the taxpayers) energy instead.

However I do know people who have solar panels with battery backup and it meets all their energy need. And this is California suburbia, not some preppers in Idaho.

And the original Tesla,
you know, that Nicholi guy,

Could send your electric to you, over the air without wires,
ALMOST 100 YEARS AGO.

But batteries are the future.

Sure,

spend your money.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I've done half a dozen assignments in these rural areas where they chose PV systems over the cost of bringing in PGE. Tesla type batteries. Very nice, almost luxury houses running on solar.

Andrei Fin

Professional Status
State
California
If you were capable of second level thinking you'd understand that you are already paying, but you're not getting.

Speaking of caves, people who live in the tech capital of the world San Francisco are indeed living like cavemen on this day in 2019 thanks to this awesome system we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks