• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

"pick Up The Key At The Office"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ca Ar Independent

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
A purchase assignment in a remote mountain area. Listing agent refuses to put on a MLS lockbox (for which I pay a fee to access), a combo box, leave a key at the property or meet me to let me in. She says the seller would have a fit if she put on a box for me. Sellers are not there but all of their belongings are. I am driving an hour each way to the property and the office is 5 minutes away (further uphill) but "too busy" to meet me at the property and let me in. It's probably an extra 30 minutes for me to drive there, park, go in, wait for the desk person to find the key, drive back to the property, back up hill, repeat. The lender is as baffled as I am as to why a listing agent would refuse on her own purchase. Feedback?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
annoying but nothing u can do about it. The LA is lazy

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Charge extra, or send the assignment back. It's part of the game. FYI - I don't like to inspect occupied homes where no third party is there. What if someone robs the place after you leave?

Ca Ar Independent

Professional Status
State
California
Charge extra, or send the assignment back. It's part of the game. FYI - I don't like to inspect occupied homes where no third party is there. What if someone robs the place after you leave?

Exactly, I've had them go after me for "dirty carpets" as well as a "missing watch".

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
On occasion I've picked up the key at the office, then mailed it back, rather than make a return out-of-the-way trip. Seems fair to me.

Good luck!

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I've handled this sort of recalcitrance by LAs and builders by simply notifying the client that I will hold the assignment until the property is available for inspection: somebody in the process (owner, buyer or seller, agent) will push whatever button it takes to get the LA to cooperate.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Five minutes away I think I would just go pick up the key. It is a annoying request but I wouldn't hold up the assignment because of that.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
I never go into a property w/o *someone* else there, just so they can't say I walked out with the Crown Jewels, or the Rolex, or turned on the water and flooded the place.
I simply tell the Agent that it's OFFICE POLICY, they don't know if it's a one-man show or 30 appraisers.
So far - 30+ years - has never failed, though there has been bitching and moaning. Remind the Agent that (s)he can send someone else from the office (Big-shot Agent will have a Secretary, Right?), or the Seller's Nephew can let you in, or a Neighbor, or whoever. Stand your ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks