• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
1980 built house on slab foundation.

It has good water pressure, toilets flush, and hot water works. In short, plumbing functions well.

However, there was a problem with the plumbing at one time. It has been repaired.

However, when I looked in the attic there is plastic water line going through the attic. Apparently, because the water line in the slab was defective somehow and they re-routed the water line through the attic.

Not quite sure about that.

How would you deal with it?

Photo attached. Maybe two if I can upload them both.

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
It appears to be Pex tubing. It has been used here for new construction for several years. It is also used for radiant floor heating systems. My house that was built in 2000 has it, haven't had any problems.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
1980 built house on slab foundation.

It has good water pressure, toilets flush, and hot water works. In short, plumbing functions well.

However, there was a problem with the plumbing at one time. It has been repaired.

However, when I looked in the attic there is plastic water line going through the attic. Apparently, because the water line in the slab was defective somehow and they re-routed the water line through the attic.

Not quite sure about that.

How would you deal with it?

Photo attached. Maybe two if I can upload them both.

2nd Photo uploaded

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
That is the normal way to fix it; go through the attic and down through the walls rather than tear up the slab.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Learn something new every day. Never seen such a thing.

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
Building codes for plumbing vary by state, this might not be allowed in some states. The Pex tubing is flexible so there aren't any connections needed to make a right angle bend to take it down the wall from the attic. It doesn't rust like galvanized pipe. The connections are are pushed inside the tubing and secured with a crimp ring. When it is used in new construction here they generally have two manifolds with individual valves and uncut tubing runs. My house has red colored tubing for the hot water.

Rich Heyn

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Doug,
I don't generally post here anymore, but since this issue may carry some liability, let me offer you the following:

The pipe looks more like polybutylene than PEX. If that's the case, you may wish to do a little research and add a disclaimer to your report. Polybutylene pipe, sometimes referred to as "Quest" pipe (a popular brand name), has a checkered past that involves class action lawsuits and such. The pipe is generally OK, but certain types of fittings had a tendency to leak after a period of time. Use of this pipe was at one time common in the manufactured housing industry, and thousands of manufactured homes received free copper pipe replacement as a result of the lawsuit.

Since you are aware of it, you may have some liability if you don't report it. I'd suggest you disclose what you saw, indicate that it may be polybutylene pipe, which may have a greater chance of leaking than other types of pipe and invite the client to employ the services of an expert. Depending on how strongly you feel about the liability, you can then either develop a statement that attempts to shelter you behind LC #5 or deploy CB #4 and call for an inspection.

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
I have a piece of white Pex tubing in my garage. It looks similar to the photo. It is clearly labeled as Pex so if in doubt read the label.

Attachments

• Pex.jpg
    Pex.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks