• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Pocket PC vs Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I am considering purchasing the HP Jornada 568 and the HP camera that attaches to it. The camera I am now using is a Sony Mavica which saves to floppy disk. I have the Enterprise version of WinTotal, which includes Pocket Total, so I have the software. My question is, is it better to use a Pocket PC with the camera attached (to place photos directly in the report) or would a laptop with a full version of WinTotal installed be better? Which would save the most time? I am often on the road and away from the office 2-5 days at a time and cannot finish the report until I return. Does anyone use the Pocket PC with camera I am considering? A concern I have with the HP PC camera is the ability for wide angle shots. Is it capable? :? :? :?

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Doug,
Have you heard about the new type of computers called Tablet PC's? I have held off investing in any hand held hardware or software as these tablet PC's seem to offer so much more in terms of actually completeing an appraisal in the field, sketch, photos, maps, report itself, and internet delivery all from the field on a touch screen the size of a note book screen. Some manufactures have shipped the product on Nov. 7 th to coinside with microsofts release of Windows XP for the tablet PC's.
You might want to hold off spending any more money on hand held technology untill the verdict is out on these Tablet PC's.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Everyone I have talked to says a laptop is not practical for field work. The handheld seems to be the best answer. I have had the software for a couple of years now and still haven't made the switch. Bought two Velos that are sitting in a box somewhere. Might get pushed over the edge soon since my faithful DC210+ just crapped out today! What a shame, only 9,300 pictures on it too. Maybe I should just get it fixed.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Mike a tablet PC is NOT a laptop, at least the true "slate" types are not. They are making a "convertable" machine but it is the "slate" models (fujutisu SP?) that appear to be the dream machine for appraisers (or maybe just my dream). apparently the machine will run most window based applications.

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
The new tablet PC's seem to do almost everything a laptop does, with lots of different ways of handling keyboard and mouse input. Here's a good article on the latest:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,667676,00.asp

I've been accused of being a "linear thinker" and for me, a laptop in the field is a necessity. I really enjoy completing each assignment before beginning the next and detest the idea of inspecting several properties and then spending the next few days writing them up.

The new tablet pc's are very intriguing because they would allow completion of the appraisal form as data is collected. This Acer at Costco looks good to me; use it as a tablet while doing the inspection and then whip out the keyboard for the finishing touches.

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=pro...d=10028828&log=

The only problem is that the none of the appraisal software vendors seem to share this vision. But, if any one of them ever gets onto this, I'd be first in line.

I use a PDA for other stuff, but can't imagine trying to create a complicated sketch on a small screen. And, if you can't do a sketch on it, I'm not interested. (However, if the photo-to-report using a Pocket PC is completely seamless, that might be kind of interesting. On second thought, I never am really sure which photo will go where until I've seen the entire subject and all of the comparable sales.)

B

Bemis Pownall

Acer still make computers???..still in business?
$2k for the preformance of a 5 year old computer??

think I'll wait a while...

Thanks anyway..

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
If you measure performance only by processor speed, these computers aren't up to contemporary standards. But if you measure performance in terms of efficiency, they're way ahead. With one of these, your sketch is done before you leave the property. With your 3Ghz P4, you still have to drive back to your office before you can even begin to transcribe your field sketch.

When you find out your subject has a 1,500 sf addition, you'll need to go back to your office to look up new comparable sales. With one of these, you'll find the nearest Starbucks, hook up to their wireless network, and look up new comps before you leave the area. (I never could think of a good reason to go to Starbucks until they introduced wireless Internet access.)

The price is high because of the digitizing screen. Prices will drop as these become more common. I probably wouldn't pay $2,000 either, but I'm looking forward to the day when I can complete the form as I inspect the property.

How can it be Sunday night if I'm still waiting for the weekend to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks