• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Polybutylene Plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Booth

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I am appraising a home in Southern California that may have polybutylene pumbing. After minimal research it is apparent that this could be a huge issue in terms of disclosure, marketability and value. Anyone want to venture a guess for a cost to cure for a 2300 sf, two story? It would involve refitting the whole house.

NC Appraising

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Joe,

I suppose you found market evidence to support your conclusion. That being said, I would check to see what type of fittings were used in the installation process. Plastic fittings cause most of the problems. Brass fittings are less likely to fail.

This may help you out:
Click Here

and Here

Good Luck.

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
A sales agent of one of my comparables said that the purchaser just won a $15,000 law suit for non disclosure after the new owners' kitchen ceiling collapsed. Two class action suites have been settled regarding this stuff. There is no market evidence to support my conclusion other than that. No listings, pending or sales disclose the condition. It is a PUD.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Joe, do you use a borescope to look inside the walls to see what type of pluming is concealed within the walls? Do you do lead testing of surfaces or plumbing? Do you do bored samples of siding to make sure you are looking at Cement Fiber versus "Masonite"? Do you test insulation, ceiling tiles, floor tiles etc for asbestos in pre 1970s homes? Do you note the presence of galvanized waste or supply piping in homes? I could go on and on. Its called SOW. Define it and move on. I put the required polybutylene comments in my home inspection reports, I don't in my Appraisals, because of SOW. FWIW, I have 24 year old polybutylene piping in my own home, with plastic fittings (the ones that fail most often) and have had 2 fitting failures. Cost less than 10 bucks for me to fix, but I have the tools and know how. CYA is aka SOW.

RICHARD D. FRANK

Professional Status
State
Florida
got a quote for my own house.

I am appraising a home in Southern California that may have polybutylene pumbing. After minimal research it is apparent that this could be a huge issue in terms of disclosure, marketability and value. Anyone want to venture a guess for a cost to cure for a 2300 sf, two story? It would involve refitting the whole house.

We had a flood. My house is a 1550sf ranch $4500.00 they replace the supply lines as well, run over and through the attic. So, (this was recent - still havent put the new carpet in) I replaced all the fittings with brass myself, leaving the supply lines. There was a class action suit that expired about 1999, that I couldnt get help with because my seller didnt tell me and I missed the suit expiration. So I could pursue it but would be no better off.

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope......Gotcha. Disclose and move on. This is an REO appraisal with moisture stains in the Drywall. I am recommending an inspection, assigning a cost to cure the damage and moving on.

SOW????

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Scope of Work. Its kinda big now in the last few versions of USPAP.

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
I'm not so good with acronyms. But thanks for the sarcasm it's so refreshing and witty.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Nothing personal, I'm sarcastic all the time, some folks take sarcasm as its intended, a good natured jab, others think its an ill intentioned punch. I really don't give a clam Scarlet.

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
.............ditto...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks