• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ponding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
I have a home where ponding was observed at the rear after a recent rain. A puddle 6 to 8 feet wide, maybe 2 to 3 inches deep. No positive drainage away from the house. It appears like a french drain needs to be installed.

There was no evidence of any water inside the house or the garage. My question is do you think this would rise to the level of " an adverse condition that affects the livability, soundness, or structural integrity of the property"

Its a minor problem but in this area where rain is infrequent I dont know if it rises to that level. Your
opinion?

I could post a photo but dont think its really needed.

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Ponding?

I think you have pretty much answered your own question. You say rain is infrequent, and you say there is no evidence of water in the house or garage. Well what would the market do with this house/condition?

If you feel you must say something, just say what you said in the post and let the underwriters decide. That's what they make the big $$$'s for.

If you truly feel that this ponding is a non-issue, then you could make a comment to the effect that on the day of inspection you noted the pond, but since rain is infrequent and there appeared not be have been any intrusion into the house or garage, you don't believe this would be adverse to value or health/safety.

Regards

Hal

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I agree with Hal.

Josh Shapiro

Professional Status
State
Florida
Doug,
I know the area well. IMO, I would check box 4 for a grading insepction, They do not cost much money and most of the people that do it will do it for free in the area in hopes of getting someone to get gradding done. I would check with a local grounds keeper or lawn care company on what it would cost. It may not have been an issue when you inspected, however, Hurricane season starts in 4 days.......

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Hal, I think I would stay away from the appraiser determining "the adverse or health safety clauses". I would just state what you saw and let the other powers to be determine if that is a health or safety issue.

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Josh,
The frequency of hurricanes in California has been way overblown, IMHO

It the house has any age to it and there is no evidence of any effect, then a CYA mention of the "ponding" declare the lack of quaification or expertise in that area should cover the problem

Wayne Tomlinson

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
What distance from the foundation wall and which direction does the existing grade slope toward IMO are the essential questions. Any white or discolored stains on the exterior or interior foundation/basement/crawl walls? Any visible or recently painted-over cracks?

Josh Shapiro

Professional Status
State
Florida
Josh,
The frequency of hurricanes in California has been way overblown, IMHO

It the house has any age to it and there is no evidence of any effect, then a CYA mention of the "ponding" declare the lack of quaification or expertise in that area should cover the problem

Wayne Tomlinson

Sorry, I saw the Sun City not the California. We have a Sun City Center here in Flroida - Sorry

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Your right

I think you have pretty much answered your own question. You say rain is infrequent, and you say there is no evidence of water in the house or garage. Well what would the market do with this house/condition?

If you feel you must say something, just say what you said in the post and let the underwriters decide. That's what they make the big $$$'s for.

If you truly feel that this ponding is a non-issue, then you could make a comment to the effect that on the day of inspection you noted the pond, but since rain is infrequent and there appeared not be have been any intrusion into the house or garage, you don't believe this would be adverse to value or health/safety.

Regards

Hal

Good point.Thanks. I guess I did answer it. I dont feel its a "non-issue" but I dont think it threatens the well being of the house. If there were more rain here, it would be a significant problem.

I do feel I must mention it and adjust for condition though. Probably, most homes sell with problems like this and the owners never realize it until it rains.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
last post

Good point.Thanks. I guess I did answer it. I dont feel its a "non-issue" but I dont think it threatens the well being of the house. If there were more rain here, it would be a significant problem.

I do feel I must mention it and adjust for condition though. Probably, most homes sell with problems like this and the owners never realize it until it rains.

Well, luckily, my sister is a contractor who deals with issues like this regularly. I showed her the photos. In her opinon a french drain wont solve the problem and it needs grading and a trench and that eventually it could be a threat to house since water could get under the sill plate.

So there it is. Always good to consult with an expert in the area if they are available isnt it?

Maybe I'll post photos of the problem later when I get chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks