• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Pools inground

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
In the Phoenix, az area If you don't have a Swimming pool would be uncommon! LOL Take a look at an aerial of Hoods in that area. you will be surprised.

NC Appraising

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Just got back for a refi appraisal, cash out.....wanting to install a inground pool.

I appraised the home in 08/20. The subject is located in a master planned golf course community with a community pool.

The pool companies are 8 months backed out and the borrower said that he is going to wait awhile hoping the cost of pools goes down. I asked him why they doe not want to use the community pool? Privacy, not wanting to be around anyone and not open enough.

NP_MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Adjustments are not what they use to be...I hope review appraisers are aware of this.

In my market, the day's of 0-30% of cost is over. Pool companies are 1 year behind and in some of my markets are getting a 100-115% ROI. Of course the age, type, quality and amenities are still a huge factor.

Are you still seeing pre-covid adjustments for the pool?
Great comment! It shows that you know your market and aren't just slapping numbers on things. Pools are in high demand here and I suspect that pool homes will garner greater premiums than they did in the past (I am on the commercial side and dont know). Several of my friends were considering selling their homes to move to a home with a pool, but inventory is so tight that it makes more sense for them to build a pool even if they have to wait a year.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
My father in law is from https://www.palmyrany.com/ and he served in Vietnam....he is 72? Could be a small world.
You never know. I Grew up just outside Binghamton/Broome County in a small town called Windsor, NY.

I have met so many men and women in the active military and retired its hard to remember all their faces. We all look a lot different now. LOL

VN was a fairly long country from north to south. The were four Corps Tactical Zones were identified as I-Corps(where I was) All the way north along DMZ then going south II-Corps, III-Corps and IV-Corps(Delta).

Interestingly I-Corp did not have a lot of Jungle area in the Flats. Once you went west into the mountains is where the forest were Mostly Dead or thinned out Trees from Agent Orange This Pix was from the top of Firebase Ripcord. 101st Abn Division . From This firebase you could see into the Ho Chi Minh Trail coming out of N. Viet Nam.and Laos to the west

Attachments

• Firebase-Ripcord.jpg
    Firebase-Ripcord.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
big city urban. haven't seen many turtle pools in the backyards for the kids. of course you can tell when it gets really hot here, water pressure lower from all the fire hydrants being used to cool the kids off. nice to run the car slowly by one to get it clean.

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
Elmira, NY. I haven't heard that name in a while. It's now a very poor, old city. My mom and most relatives are from Elmira, Horseheads or Binghamton. Spent many holidays on Church St. in Elmira,
not many pools, dieing city.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
In the Phoenix, az area If you don't have a Swimming pool would be uncommon! LOL Take a look at an aerial of Hoods in that area. you will be surprised.

In higher end neighborhoods a pool is almost a given. At typical entry level and above price ranges in the better parts of Phx and the burbs its roughly 30% of sales, just checked the MLS.

Talk about money down the drain. Here also the pool builders are quoting 9-12 months build time and a typical 400 sf (surface area) play pool (4-6 feet depth as is common here) will run roughly 30k for a basic design. Add in a water feature, additional steps, better decking, etc and you can go on and on.
Typical price ranges here still just return 10-15k off of that at resale.

Whoever mentioned solar is spot on too. I have combed paired sales in countless neighborhoods with owned solar, theres 0 measurable market reaction. I cringe when people tell me they "own" it..Just don't tell realtors, some of who tack on 30k to the list price and throw their arms in the air when it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

James Sturm

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Adjustments are not what they use to be...I hope review appraisers are aware of this.

In my market, the day's of 0-30% of cost is over. Pool companies are 1 year behind and in some of my markets are getting a 100-115% ROI. Of course the age, type, quality and amenities are still a huge factor.

Are you still seeing pre-covid adjustments for the pool?
Moved to Arizona in late 2013. While I was in Illinois (20 years), most pools had a negative impact on property values. However in Arizona, a fairly strong positive impact on value. Most of the time I can produce 15 to 20 paired sales or more to give a range of values for a pool. Usually, I come in the middle to the upper middle of the range. Cannot remember utilizing a % adjustment for anything since practicing in Arizona, however, utilized percentage adjustments will practicing in Illinois.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks