• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Possible New Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I keep no personal email addresses, nor do I send any at my office computer (once I saw how many things the anti-virus program was catching!)

Today I got an email in Outlook Express from [email protected]. There was no message - just an attachment. I didn't open it, I simply hit Reply and tried to send it back to whoever sent it asking what it was.

So far, Outlook Express has been trying for 4 hours to deliver the message, as I just got a message re undeliverable....etc.

My suspicion is that it is a worm or virus and one of the only things I do on my office computer is visit the forum, so beware the rest of you if you get the same email. I don't know this for a fact, but it certainly was suspicious.

Julie Phillips

Freshman Member
I know for a fact that spammers are 'crawling' this site and using/selling emails. I opened up a new hotmail account just for this site, and within a day of posting it here, I was receiving spam. I have opened other hotmail accounts for personal reasons and not received spam, so I know it's not hotmail.

Don't post your IP email address here or anywhere else on the net, its just one more way the spammers or hackers get you.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Julie:

I have to the best of my knowlege since the new forum opened never received any spam traceable to this site, an injudicious previous post on the old forum produced some of the nastiest spam I have ever seen.

If you tell folks to use the e-mail button at the bottom of these posts: when you get an email from someone it contains not only THIER email, but the information needed for Wayne to land on them like a ton of bricks if it is abuse or spam. The moderator creator and general owner-dude is death on spam (check some of his past posts useing spam and search function!).

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
What I received came directly through Outlook Express. I guess I should change to another account. I came within a hair of opening it up, as the only things I usually receive through my regular outlook express are newsletters, (that I don't mind getting) and an occasional email order for an appraisal. I receive my data and sales updates in outlook, as well. I occasionally order something. My anti-virus program is pretty good, and it didn't pick up on this one. There was absolutely no information on the email except the sender's email address and the attachment.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Yeap, I agree with LeeAnn. Julie, take the e-mail address out at the bottom of your profile. And just leave the E-Mail button active so that any e-mail will go through Wayne's washing machine.

Rob Bodkin

Professional Status
State
Washington
I've gotten that one as well, but my anti-virus program nailed it before it was an issue.

My computer guru turned me on to antivirus.com and their product PC-Cillin (I don't know if I spelled the product right) it has been awsome! Very cheap $20 or so and I have yet to get nailed by a virus. It automatically updates every day and screens all e-mail and web activity. I was using Norton before that and only got burned once, but once was enough.

I also had to adopt a strict no attachment policy. Unless I have been forwarned that new pictures of my nephew are in the attachment I delete it without even thinking about opening it up. Even from people I know. I will usually call the person and ask if they sent something safe or not. Kind of a pain, but it does save you from all of the bad stuff and the jokes, "pass it on" letters and other junk people love to forward.

Rob Bodkin
Freestone Partners

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
PC-Cillin
I have this in 1 computer and Norton on another, and have had no problems with viruses.

Knock on wood. 8)

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I know for a fact that spammers are 'crawling' this site and using/selling emails. I opened up a new hotmail account just for this site, and within a day of posting it here, I was receiving spam.

Could be but I have my doubts unless your email was in the text of a message. I have been on this board since Wayne changed from the old one. I get very very little spam. I can account for virtually all the spam I get coming from web sites I have purchased from or given an email address to for some reason.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I have PC Cillin on the two networked computers in the office, but had to change to Norton on the host computer, as PC Cillin and WinTotal did constant battle with each other. What I have now is working pretty good, although it didn't pickup on this particular one....I just woke up in time before opening it.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I use a program called "KEYVIEW" on all attachments.
ed in arkansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks