• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Practicums ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERMCLEMOXX

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Virginia
Hello Fellow Appraisers,
Im a trainee, and wanted to ask, is anyone familiar with practicum courses? If so does anyone know why virtually no one teaches them? New guidelines state appraiser can get up to 50% of their training hours in this aspect. Are practicums hard to get approved by the board? Or is there just a shortage of qualified Appraisers interested in teaching them? Personally I would pay for a quality practicum course for X number of hours.....it would expediate my training and ensure that the course is AQB approved and strenthen my knowledge as I wait for real assignments. Anyone know anything? Thanks.

BRUNO

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
Hello,

That is great question! I am in the same boat, In Wisconsin you can get 50% of your Exp. Hours this way But nobody seems to know were these courses are taught!! I spoke with people at the State level and they can't tell me anybody I thought it had to be State Approved!! Very Frustrating because I am trying to get my hours also and If I don't get them in 2 years (and working a full time job, I won't get them) I will have to take my Test over again. They are really making it hard to be an Appraiser!

daniels4paws

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Virginia
I saw that you are in VA. Have you taken your state test yet? If so, when? I have taken the courses and I'm getting ready to take my state test and I'm looking for a mentor also.

JERMCLEMOXX

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Virginia
Hi,

Yes, I passed the state exam in September 07. I took it twice, the first time I missed it by 4 questions I believe, but I was ill prepared. I had completed my ed requirements about 4-5 months before that, thus I hadnt been in constant practice, so the first time was a feeler, so I would know what I was up against the second. Just study the terms and know the basics, and of course read every question carefully and do the ones you know 100% first and then work back. ---- I've been trying to get together fellow trainees in Virginia who lack hours that are interested in paying for practicum courses. I dont know what your financial situation is but would you be interested in this if I can find one or two qualified istructors to create the course? I need a list of about 500+, to present to the VA Appraisal Board for consideration. I think this is really an opportunity for novice trainees to get high quality training in consideration of real world situations, because these practicums would have to be approved by the state and AQB. It would also change the way licensed appraisers look at trainees.....in essense we are the future of this business.

In my opinion most supervisors are basically instructors as well in a sense, its curious the board doesnt motivate supervisors to become instructor certified by taking on trainees (or get credit), thus they could also teach practicums to trainees seeking experience until they fill out there hours or find clients. Its a win win situation if there are enough interested trainees and the AQB will approve the practicums...as well as the state.

FYI anyone else who reads this I'd like to hear your input.

J.

Last edited:

daniels4paws

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Virginia
Thanks for the information. I took the test on Dec. 21 and failed by 4 questions. Needless to say I was disappointed but I also knew going into it that I was as prepared as I should have been. I couldn't retake it again before the end of the year due to scheduling. I'm restudying and plan to take it again soon. I might be interested in the classes depending on cost. Where are you located in VA?

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I have a few questions for you....

New guidelines state appraiser can get up to 50% of their training hours in this aspect.

Are you trying to get the hours in as fast as possible so that you can get to licensure as quick as possible (by taking a practicum)?

it would expediate my training

If this is your goal, it is my humble opinion that this is not the right course of education, nor the right mindset. This industry (it is no longer a profession in the residential world) has way too many people trying to get the minimal amount of education and go on their own after two years of "training". Much of the training by the way was given by people who didn't know what they were doing in the first place.

you can get 50% of your Exp. Hours this way

Once again this indicates that the road less traveled, the road with the least amount of obstacles is the road to take, and that is not the answer.

Very Frustrating because I am trying to get my hours also and If I don't get them in 2 years (and working a full time job, I won't get them)

You can get your hours, you just might have to take a new test or take additional education courses. Do you not want to be knowledgeable enough to take the new test or do you not have the desire to take additional education? I would think that anyone who wants to make a professional change would want to be as qualified as they can be, and that would include taking the new test and fulfilling the new education requirements.

This is your future chosen PROFESSION, would you want to hold anyone else less accountable than the minimum standards?
I will have to take my Test over again.

And this is a problem? Shouldn't you want to be competent for the new test?

They are really making it hard to be an Appraiser!

Do you think it should be easy? You are giving an opinion of value to peoples homes (assuming you are pursuing the residential license). This is the biggest investment these people will ever make in their lives, and I am assuming that they would want the most qualified and educated person to do the job, wouldn't you want the same if it were your home?

to get high quality training in consideration of real world situations

There is no substitute for real world training. You cannot learn it in a classroom. It is my humble opinion that a residential appraiser should have three years minimum of training before they are allowed to go out by themselves.

In my opinion most supervisors are basically instructors as well in a sense

Unfortunately you are incorrect. Most supervisors were greedy in the boom and did not teach their trainees anything except how to fill out forms. That has been one of the biggest downfalls in the industry.

Its a win win situation if there are enough interested trainees and the AQB will approve the practicums...as well as the state.

In my opinion that would be a lose situation.

failed by 4 questions

This is another reason you should try to get the new qualifications. The tests were extremely easy....to fail shows that you are not ready.

This post is not to admonish or insult, only to try to educate you. I hope if you want to enter this field you do so with the goal of being good at it, and that should take considerable time, effort, education and extensive training.

Sincerely......

Professional Status
State
Montana
Practicums

So far only PA and CA have approved the notion of Practicums as proposed by the AQB Guide Note 4. Both, while they have approved them in principle, state that the Practicum Course must be approved by the AQB approval office. So far the AQB has not approved any Practicum courses.

The Practicum as outlined by the AQB is going to be very difficult if not impossible to implement. Last week I spoke to some members and a staff person of the Montana Board of Real Estate Appraisers. Frankly, they were very skeptical of the process and also would insist the course be approved by the AQB. They also volunteered they would not very likely approve up to 50% of the experience hours.

Until this idea sinks in and an organization/course provided can prove it can work, I don't see states going out of their way to approve a homegrown program that has not gone through the AQB approval process. It takes a lot of muscle to get a course approved through the AQB.

My advice is to follow the traditional path for now. I also would immediately join an appraisal organization. Both the NAIFA and most recently the Appraisal Institute have entry level memberships. The new AI trainee membership level was just implemented in the last few months. If you e-mail privately I will send you some articles on mentoring and finding a mentor. [email protected] montana.com

JERMCLEMOXX

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Virginia
Response to Practicums

Quote:
New guidelines state appraiser can get up to 50% of their training hours in this aspect.

Are you trying to get the hours in as fast as possible so that you can get to licensure as quick as possible (by taking a practicum)?
No that’s not the goal at all. The goal is to get some high quality training and some hours in the process. Real world or practicum, the numbers have to add up. This could be an alternative to making mistakes in the field and strengthen learning. And still yes expediate training in a sense, but not that much faster.
Quote:

If this is your goal, it is my humble opinion that this is not the right course of education, nor the right mindset. This industry (it is no longer a profession in the residential world) has way too many people trying to get the minimal amount of education and go on their own after two years of "training". Much of the training by the way was given by people who didn't know what they were doing in the first place.
The board certifies trainees, if they don’t know what they are doing that’s not my fault, and I doubt they would be teaching practicums.
Quote:

Once again this indicates that the road less traveled, the road with the least amount of obstacles is the road to take, and that is not the answer.
The road with the least obstacles is the best road. Im not going to swim across a 10 mile lake when I have the option of swimming a 5 mile and get the same results.
Quote:
Very Frustrating because I am trying to get my hours also and If I don't get them in 2 years (and working a full time job, I won't get them)

You can get your hours, you just might have to take a new test or take additional education courses. Do you not want to be knowledgeable enough to take the new test or do you not have the desire to take additional education? I would think that anyone who wants to make a professional change would want to be as qualified as they can be, and that would include taking the new test and fulfilling the new education requirements.

Why would I take the test over again if I have passed. That makes no sense. If that were the case I could simply take more classes.

This is your future chosen PROFESSION, would you want to hold anyone else less accountable than the minimum standards?

The minimum standards are set by the AQB not me, they mentioned the practicums, but refuse to implement them. Therefore if its rubbish they need to remove that dialogure from the training criteria as it is useless, as it is now. I wouldn’t hold it against an appraiser who trained for 3-4 years and took a couple of practicums for a couple hundred of hours towards training, as long as he was competent.
Quote:

I don’t have to take the test over again, I passed already.
Quote:

Do you think it should be easy? You are giving an opinion of value to peoples homes (assuming you are pursuing the residential license). This is the biggest investment these people will ever make in their lives, and I am assuming that they would want the most qualified and educated person to do the job, wouldn't you want the same if it were your home?
Quote:

There is no substitute for real world training. You cannot learn it in a classroom. It is my humble opinion that a residential appraiser should have three years minimum of training before they are allowed to go out by themselves.
I agree, no substitution for real world, but flight simulations go on everyday, so are they useless to?
Quote:

Unfortunately you are incorrect. Most supervisors were greedy in the boom and did not teach their trainees anything except how to fill out forms. That has been one of the biggest downfalls in the industry.
That is in your experience, and you may be right, but we (the trainees) are the future and I will look to change that, at least in my circle of appraisers…that’s the old mentality.
Quote:
Its a win win situation if there are enough interested trainees and the AQB will approve the practicums...as well as the state.

In my opinion that would be a lose situation.
Its only a lose situation if you gain absolutely nothing out of it. This isn’t the case.
Quote:
failed by 4 questions

This is another reason you should try to get the new qualifications. The tests were extremely easy....to fail shows that you are not ready.

This post is not to admonish or insult, only to try to educate you. I hope if you want to enter this field you do so with the goal of being good at it, and that should take considerable time, effort, education and extensive training.

I failed by 4 questions the first time….extremely easy by whose terms? And if it were so easy, then the real world should be just as easy.

I appreciate your comments but I don’t agree with everything if not most of what you say. But that’s what this forum is for. And yes you are probably right I will do it the way most experienced appraisers have done it in the past. But there is no reason not to look for alternatives to training and assume that everyone must do things the way you did.

JERMCLEMOXX

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Virginia
Response to Practicums

Quote:

No that’s not the goal at all. The goal is to get some high quality training and some hours in the process. Real world or practicum, the numbers have to add up. This could be an alternative to making mistakes in the field and strengthen learning. And still yes expediate training in a sense, but not that much faster.
Quote:

The board certifies trainees, if they don’t know what they are doing that’s not my fault, and I doubt they would be teaching practicums.
Quote:

The road with the least obstacles is the best road. Im not going to swim across a 10 mile lake when I have the option of swimming a 5 mile and get the same results.
Quote:

Why would I take the test over again if I have passed. That makes no sense. If that were the case I could simply take more classes.

The minimum standards are set by the AQB not me, they mentioned the practicums, but refuse to implement them. Therefore if its rubbish they need to remove that dialogure from the training criteria as it is useless, as it is now. I wouldn’t hold it against an appraiser who trained for 3-4 years and took a couple of practicums for a couple hundred of hours towards training, as long as he was competent.
Quote:

I don’t have to take the test over again, I passed already.
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, no substitution for real world, but flight simulations go on everyday, so are they useless to?
Quote:

That is in your experience, and you may be right, but we (the trainees) are the future and I will look to change that, at least in my circle of appraisers…that’s the old mentality.
Quote:

In my opinion that wouldnt be a lose situation.
Its only a lose situation if you gain absolutely nothing out of it. This isn’t the case.
Quote:
failed by 4 questions

I failed by 4 questions the first time….extremely easy by whose terms? And if it were so easy, then the real world should be just as easy.

I appreciate your comments but I don’t agree with everything if not most of what you say. But that’s what this forum is for. And yes you are probably right I will do it the way most experienced appraisers have done it in the past. But there is no reason not to look for alternatives to training and assume that everyone must do things the way you did.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
As a couple of the others have noted, the Appraiser Qualifications Board has approved the idea of practicum courses in concept, but as far as we know there haven't been any course providers who have stepped up to try and get one approved.

Basically what you're talking about is an instructor providing the supervision in place of an individual appraiser. I imagine that sooner or later someone is going to do it, but it might end up being a $20,000 course and it'll still only get you halfway there in terms of accruing the necessary hours for licensure.

In the last year, 1,000 trainees have basically given up in California, which means the money they spent on education providers and initial licensing and testing to get their trainee licenses was for naught. As angry as I'm sure some of them are, I can't imagine how angry one would be if they spent another $20k and 6 more months (full time), only to be stymied anyway because they couldn't get the other half of their hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks