• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Prepare for test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis McGee

I would like any advice on how to get ready for the State test. I'm not taking it for another year. So far, my plan is to keep learnibg on the job, which has been going well. Lots of questions and I always get answers from my mentor. I cancelled the news paper and am reading Harrison's 1001 questions........pass exam book, with my morning coffee. I also plan to take the rest of the required hours/courses just prior( weeks, if it works out that way) to taking the state exam. Does this sound reasonable? Anything else anybody can recommend or other reading material will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
I would take the classes as soon as you can. This will give you a much longer time for the material to 'soak in', and you can use the knowledge as work each day. Then when it comes time to review, it really is a review. The 1001 questions is a good book, keep using it. What helped me a lot was a cram course I took. it really put me in the frame of mind for the exam. We did nothing but take tests all day.

Good luck

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
If you are a real reader, the AI's 12th edition of Appraisal of Real Estate has about everything you could encounter.

David Miester used to have practice tests and a manual....might try those. He is in Metarie, LA I think. But check this link

http://www.columbiainstitute.org/books.htm

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
Jim:

There are actually two test guides worth studying. Also check to see if there is study guide specific to your state. There is a guide for the California exam, for example:

These guides are:

1001 QUESTIONS TO PASS THE APPRAISAL LICENSING AND CERTIFICATION EXAM - this Appraisal Exam Review Manual is specifically designed to prepare students to pass the state Appraisal License and Certification Examinations administered by AMP. It features 1001 carefully selected questions covering all of the important topic areas for the state AMP appraisal examinations. Soft cover 8 1/2 x 11, 258 pages

COST $35.00

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS TO HELP YOU PASS THE REAL ESTATE APPRAISAL EXAMS SOFTWARE – This interactive program contains over 1000 exam questions; 8 diagnostic examinations, 4 practice exams; on-line glossary of over 600 key appraisal terms. Provides immediate feedback on why answers are correct or incorrect; pinpoints areas that require further review; monitors your improvement; A must for candidates preparing for the state appraisal examinations. IBM Compatibility - Publisher: Dearborn Financial Publishing Company, Inc. - 2 diskettes COST: Price: $45.00

Make up a grid segmenting an answer sheet into intervals of five. As you go through the tests, put the answer on your answer sheet and then after doing five, check your answers. Score your self and go over all the answers you missed. By doing five at a time you will slow your self down and zero in on problem areas. Keep your answer sheets and later retake the test and compare progress.

The next thing, I would do is go to the Appraisal Institute web site:
Download, the math tips and other down loads about using the HP12C. You should practice with your calculator frequently. In the exam you need to blow past the math. Be ready. After all, appraising is mostly math.

There are some things on the test that are very elementary yet, for beginners some stumble. These things need to be put on flash cards. Flash cards, old fashion, yes, but a good learning tool nonetheless. For instance, you need to know how many square feet in a acre. Make up a flash card for that. You will have a question on section, range and township. You will have a question on leasee, leasehold and lessor, mortgagor, mortgagee While these may be ordinary terms, some beginning appraiser get stuck on them and a flash card is a good exercise to drum the answer into your head.

Don't be afraid of learning tricks. When I started out adjustments were SBA and CBS. That is Subject, Better, Add: Comparable, Better, Subtract

Learn the parts of a building. My state exam in Montana actually had "scuttle" as the correct answer.

Appraising has its own vocabulary. The sooner you fold it into your learning the more comfortable you will be with the exam.

Good Luck,

Travis McGee

Thanks so much for the input I REALLY appreciate it, and the time it took you all to respond. I like the interactive CD idea. Excellent!

Thanks again,

Jim

Jay Bartholomew

Freshman Member
:lol: In Wisconsin, there are two tests. The state test is an open book 50 question exam on laws and ethics. Easy. The 2nd test is put on by PSI( who just recently took over testing) for Licensed Residential Appraisal. Its not an easy test. Some of the wording will get you. But if you pack your brain, you should come out fine. The class I took last semester prepared me more for the state test and didn't help one iota for the National Exam. Get all the help you can get ( the books formentioned ) and come to this Forum website. I've learned alot about the business thru this. Oh and another thing, the stuff you learn in the books arn't the whole picture in this job. I'm still swingin the bat at the National #$$#*# Exam!!! Good Luck 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks