• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Present Land Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

appraizer76

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
Hi everyone,
Under URAR 1004 form, how do you determine the present land use? my supervisor has given me advise on this topic and wanted to find out if anyone have other ways.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
er...

Try rephrasing the question to yourself.

Lemme give you a hint:
What is the land presently being used for?

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Are you talking current use or highest and best use?

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Present land use %..........

Aerial photos are great.

Look for all MLS sales in the neighborhood and sort them by the type of property. Need to go back in time on this one, the further the better.

Drive around the neighborhood and see what is there.

If you have a data service that you buy, do a neighborhood search by 'use code', and then sort it down.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I had the same question, glad I searched before posting.

Too many appraisers in my area arbitrarily describe it as 100% residential - my market is mostly suburban and rural mind you. Some counties in this region supply studies that have GIS created maps breaking it all down, some do not.

I would suggest going to your county planning commission, or, as TEL2002 said, use Google Earth or MS Virtual Earth as an aid.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Just know your market. Describe the uses of the land within the market area that represents the competition for the subject. If it's out in the country it might look something like 40%-50% residential, no measurable 2-4's or multi-families, a small amount of commercial and the rest Ag or other uses (public lands, recreation, etc.). In a densely developed metro area it might be more like 70% residential, 5 and 5 for 2-4's and multi's and 10% commercial (neighborhoods need a small amount of commercial for convenience services...mini-marts, fuel, medical clinics, etc). and the rest, if any, might be public uses such as parks, greenbelts, libraries, schools, etc.

This isn't an exact science and no one is going to find fault with reasonable estimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks