• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Prior Sale Zillow Error = Pita

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Degrees

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Be curious to know if anyone else is bumping into this. I have had clerical reviewers using zillow for a data source and citing prior sales posted in zillow that do not exist in pr or MLS. I can address this in the report but I have had situations where the headache over this does not end and I am considering doing a prescreen to make sure f'ing zillow matches pr before proceeding. Just curious to know if others have run into this. I ended up withdrawing from one assignment over this already and might do so over another just to avoid future nonsense and headaches.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If there was not a recording, there was not a prior sale. Even if in MLS and not recorded, it's not officially a sale.

23Degrees

Professional Status
State
California
Yes. I am aware of that. But thank you for pointing that out because I am obviously not capable of wording a question properly. I will work on that when I return in 2017 for my yearly post.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
23Degrees, Although I understand your frustration, I wouldn't allow Z to influence your accepting or declining an assignment. Is this happening often?

I've only had one similar situation and it was about 2 yrs ago give or take? County Records did not indicate a sale/transfer in the normal way for whatever reason (I believe most appraisers would have missed it in the normal course of business). Client had pulled RealList info which did indicate said transfer and came back to me. After further digging, etc, I was able to find said transfer and verify, so revised the report.

That's my only experience, but it definitely didn't deter me from said client nor RealList

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I don't use Zillow as a data source, imo it is more of a sales site than a reliable data source site.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I pull up the assessor record and Realist. Occasionally the assessor records may be behind Realist, but here RL will list the book/page so I check both. In fact realist links directly to our assessor field card unless there are multiple tracts in the sale.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I don't use Zillow as a data source

I don't consider Zillow a credible data source.

Deeds, assessment and human confirmation; that's all you need.

23Degrees

Professional Status
State
California
I am on incident #2 for this. Not only was I surprised that reviewers were relying on zillow but that zillow had sales listed that don't seem to have happened in MLS, realist, or the assessor database. I dumped the last one, a otherwise completed report but there were other frustrating issues on that one in dealing with reviewers. On this one I guess I could write that all evidence indicates zillow is FOS, but I wonder if that would end it this time or if this could keep being an issue when end users go through their review process. My instinct is to avoid this, prescreen and dump after this latest one.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I am on incident #2 for this
what's that saying? Fool me once ....
My instinct is to avoid this, prescreen and dump after this latest one.
They may be a client to reconsider and possibly dump. Obviously that's your call and a business decision. Best of luck, but thanks for sharing. I didn't know "reviewers" (I'm assuming this is for an AMC) were using Zeelow for their "fact checking" of sales (I have heard of AMC's pulling subject info regarding active/pending properties)

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I had someone tell me they could not replicate my data using Zillow.
I laughed in their face. Har de har har. Dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks