• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Problem With Pdf Email Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
fyi, A couple clients recently claimed they cannot open my report sent as an email pdf attachment. I can open the attachment that I cc'ed to myself. I've also sent the report to two people in the same office who claim to have the same configuration, one person can open the attachment and the other could not.

I then asked my pdf guru if pdf email attachments can get mangled, his response follows:

"yes, there are a number of places where the attachment can get fouled up. virus checkers, spam blockers, proxy servers, etc can all mangle the file. in some cases, it is the recipients' isp that mangles the documents."

A suggestion was made earlier to use WinZip to avoid the mangling. I tried WinZip earlier to reduce the pdf file size, but obtained very little reduction so I stopped using it. I don't know if WinZip will prevent mangling the pdf attachment, I'm still investigating.

Don't have a good fix, but at least I can pass on to the client possible issues on their end that are causing the problem.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sounds like it is their problem not yours. If they fix the computer you are sending to...send it to the one in their office that doesn't have the problem. Are you using the Adobe Acrobat Distiller? It compresses my files way down, like less than 300K for a typical report. I can send reports in less than 30 seconds.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Alan,

Could also be that they have the security setting on the email set so that they can not open attachements. Had this happen to one client. They kept stating that they could not open file attachements. Turned out was they had their security set to not allow attachements.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
I had the same problem last week. I was using A la mode and sending the reports PDF directly to the client. I read that if you send the report through wintotal EDI that you would get a return receipt, so I tried it. Received a call from the client that said all they got received was a file full of gook. So, I decided to e-mail myself a copy to see what was going on. I received from wintotal one PDF file with a good copy of the report then a few minutes later another e-mail confirming the delivery with a file attachment that was garbled. They sent the confirmation to the receiver of the file instead of the sender. Nothing but a bunch of letters and figures in the file. I use Norton Net Security Professional that scans all out going mail for virsuses. Either that or it is something at the wintotal distribution server possibly another virsus scanner.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Alan-- how did your create your PDF file?

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
If you are using the 128 bit encryption security setting available with Adobe 5.0 and they are using Adobe 4.0 they will not be able to open the pdf. Try using the 40 bit encryption settings with 5.0 and they should be able to open the pdf with their 4.0 version.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Dave's got the answer ..

Just went through this with ATM .. they had version 4, which is 40-bit .. we can set-up V5 and V6 to use 40-bit, rather than 128-bit, but suggested they should upgrade their systems ..

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried WinZip with one client, didn't work. I've asked the client to identify if the problem was un-WinZip'ing the attachment or trying to open the pdf, waiting on a response.

I've also asked the clients to identify their Adobe Acrobat version and recommended they move to 5 or 6, waiting on a response.

One client wants to go to paper/cd and mail, I'm trying to help them resolve the issue so this is not necessary.

I'm using pdfFactory Pro to create the pdf file. I don't think the pdf file is the problem, unless it is the encryption setting identified earlier.

Will update when I receive additional info from clients.

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
Final Comments:

- Both clients appear to have been running Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0. This version does not read 128 bit encryption.

- I was writing 128 bit encryption.

- I rewrote one report in 40 bit encryption, the client can read it.

- I've explained the issues to both clients and recommended they upgrade to the free Adobe Reader 5.0 or 6.0.

- We no longer have a need to send info via mail.

Both clients were very responsive to the assistance provided above and beyond the assignment:

"Thank you SO much for going above and beyond on this assignment. I really appreciate all your work.
We will keep you in mind for future assignments in your area.
Thanks again,"

Took some extra time to resolve the issue, but the extra effort was appreciated by the client and will pay off down the road. (subtle hint how to obtain and keep clients).

muchas gracias para ayuda y informacion.

bueno suerta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks