• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Problem with saving Toolbox files in CD writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
For many years, I have backed up my files in exterior zip drive with no problem. Recently I bought a new machine that has CD writer so I bought few CD rewriteable disks and saved some of my appraisal files in the CD. When I tried to open one of them, I got a message saying the sketcher files cannot be opened. I clicked ok and noticed that all pages including maps, photos and everything else were there and were fien but the sketch was missing. I tried other files and the result was the same. I would like to know if anyone saves files in CD and has similar experience and how the problem can be solved. I am using winsketch and have XP operation system.
I appreciate your feedback
Thanks,
Moh Malekpour

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
moh, sorry to hear about your problem, but although I have XP and use winsketch as well, I have not experienced it.

When I save to CD, I save the entire file.

When I first open an appraisal, I create a new file folder. I put everything into that file folder.....all photo's, all data sheets used on comps (I simply print everything to pdf, then save it to that folder), all tax data, everything. When I finish the appraisal, I print the appraisal to pdf (always) and save it in the same folder. I then print a file copy of everything (until I fill my current file cabinet, I will remain redundent) on the printer. At that point I put EVERYTHING in that folder on the cd.....all notes, comps I didn't use.....everything. So far I have not had any problem opening an archived appraisal. And again, I have a pdf file with the entire thing on it, so even if one of the other files becomes corrupted I can print a hard copy.

E-Mail Toolbox, and I am sure they will have a solution for you, but in the meantime you might try to save it like I do.

Greg

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Moh,

Second option, and I use it .. save the *pdf file, along with your original report onto the CD. I believe that your sketch is being saved in another directory, then loaded with your workfile .. saving the workfile doesn't save the sketch .. have noticed the same loss, btw ..

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Thank you Greg and AirPhoto for your suggestions:
I am in the process of upgrading my software to the latest version that they have and hopefully it will solve the problem otherwise, I am going to contact them and seek some helps.
I am not sure how to put my files in the folder that you do Greg. I usually start my appraisal reports from my C drive and insert all my data, maps and photos and make sure that everything is in place. My photos are on floppy disks. When the report is completed, I save it in my C drive. I save every thing in my file including maps, sketch, etc to my C drive, but photos because I don’t want to overload it. At the same time I save the same file with photos inserted in my Zip drive and then I convert the file to pdf and save it again in my Zip drive. So, I have one report with every thing but photos in my C dive and have 2 in my zip drive: one in pdf and one regular. At the end, I print the report for my paper file.
Now, that I have my new machine and CD write capability, I would like to replace my zip drive to CD because it is easier and less expensive.
I don’t know how do you make a separate folder. There is nothing in the software to show how to put one or several files in a folder. It may need an extra function that I am not aware of and I appreciate it if you can enlighten me about it.
Airphoto, the problem of missing sketch does not happen when I save a pdf file to CD , it happens when the file is not converted to pdf. I don't have this problem when i save it to zip drive, floppy disk or hard drive. It just happens when it is saved to CD and the message is that cannot open the sketcher and i don't know why?
Thanks,
Moh

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Moh,

Presuming you to be using WinDoze:

Anytime the box opens on your screen where you are allowed to assign a file name to the file you wish to save you have the choice of accepting the default location, or specifying a new location. That's where you choose your C drive, or your ZIP drive. The button in the center/upper right (I can't replicate it here) you may use to choose to create a new directory .. experiment a lil .. once you create it, you'll be allowed to name the directory and then will need to double click on it to open it ..

Make sure that you are saving your sketch (when you click out of sketch, while doing the appraisal) in the same subdirectory as your report. I use c:cformsreport as the place to save them .. then transfer from that subdirectory to a 'storage' subdirectory on my CD. If you go to the 'start' button at the bottom left of your screen and choose 'find' and then enter *.skt as your search parameter, it will find all sketches for you and tell you which directory they're stored in ..

You might wish to transfer all existing sketches into your report subdirectory ..

---after writing the above, I went and checked my own system .. was unable to find any sketch files saved separately from the appraisals, yet all were there and suitable for use when I called in the appraisals for further work! Now .. must ask you this: Are you saving your appraisal file immediately after saving and closing the sketch file? I'm using the WinSketch that came with the package, btw .. not Apex or an aftermarket add-in sketcher .. ---

David Mullen

I am running Windows XP, Version 9.96 of the Toolbox and APEX as a sketcher.

When I open one of the saved files on the CDRW, it gives the same message but when the appraisal is opened, the sketch is there.

I always create a separate folder on the hard drive for every appraisal and then periodically and before shutting down the computer, back up the most recent appraisals to CD media. I just copy the entire folder to the CD.

I looked, and the sketch file is there too and I don't know why it gives that error message and then goes ahead and puts the sketch into the appraisal. It may have something to do with the CD media files being read only and the sketch program cannot manipulate them. Only problem with that theory is that mine are going ahead and loading even though the message appears.

If you get an answer from Toolbox, please let us know. I am really curious.

officepolicy247

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
:? Here's a thought......

Whenever a file is saved to a CD it becomes a "read only" file automatically. I ran across this problem when some older files were backed up, and have learned to instantly save the file again to my hard drive before making any changes....this making the file accessible again. This is a problem if you have saved files on a non re-writable disk, since there will be two (2) files with different data and you cannot save again to the same CD unless the file name is changed.

I am using APEX and the same error message comes up even though the sketch does show up. It would be interesting to know if the sketch can be edited (assuming the file was saved in APEX in the first place) and I have not checked this out.

If your files have become "read only" they can be easily changes by using a right mouse click on the file and unchecking the attribute read only.

Give it a try, this may solve the problem.

For those of you that haven't noticed, the group has a new member in JEFF BRADFORD. He assures me that this group will be looked in on from time to time, and hopefully we can all become mutually beneficial to the cause.

Doug Kues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks