• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Propane Tank Not In Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

S is for spittman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Don't believe I've run into this situation before, but as usual, I think I may be over analyzing.

The home is all electric ... the appliances, water/heater, central heat/ac.

The way the manual reads is "Appraiser must operate the applicable systems and observe their performance."

This would mean the propane tank is not an applicable system since is not in use (not even hooked up), correct?

Do I just mention it is not in use and move on or would it still be required to be tested?

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
How do you test a propane tank? Especially one that is not connected to anything?

S is for spittman

Professional Status
State
Texas
How do you test a propane tank? Especially one that is not connected to anything?

That's part of my question ... do I require it to be connected and turned on for testing since the tank is still there?

I remember back in the day, my dad would always require the outlets be capped in the house if not in use, but I don't know now.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Treat it as an above ground fuel tank.

(7) Stationary Storage Tanks

If the subject property line is located within 300 feet of an aboveground or subsurface stationary storage tank with a capacity of 1,000 gallons or more of flammable or explosive material, then the Property is ineligible for FHA insurance, and the Appraiser must notify the Mortgagee of the deficiency of MPR or MPS. This includes domestic and commercial uses as well as automotive service station tanks.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Above ground Propane tanks are often not owned by the property owner but are rather owned by the utility company. If so, why have they not removed it if it is no longer in use?

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
If the subject property line is located within 300 feet of an aboveground or subsurface stationary storage tank with a capacity of 1,000 gallons or more of flammable or explosive material

Welcome back Greg................

Most residential tanks are 500 gallons.

If it isn't hooked up it isn't in use, you can't and don't need to test it.

The tank is there, it exists. I would mention it and move on. Let the UW decide.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Above ground Propane tanks are often not owned by the property owner but are rather owned by the utility company. If so, why have they not removed it if it is no longer in use?

Maybe there is only one local propane vendor for that location so they just leave them there.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Welcome back Greg................

Most residential tanks are 500 gallons.

If it isn't hooked up it isn't in use, you can't and don't need to test it.

The tank is there, it exists. I would mention it and move on. Let the UW decide.

Exactly. Nothing to do. Not sure if it's even worth a mention.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Especially one that is not connected to anything?
Mention move on as personal property, inquire if leased (if unused, it might not be). Testing is required only if empty otherwise the only test is soapy water for leaks. Non-empty tanks cannot be pressure tested. If empty, fill with water, cut doors and makin BBQ grill :)

hqdefault.jpg
But do be careful
article-2361621-1AC6AEFC000005DC-223_634x592.jpg

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Ok - you got me wondering. Recently did a VA appraisal of a home with a propane tank attached to the side of the house for the propane fireplace. Thankfully VA does not require testing. Are you folks saying that FHA, for example, would require you to test the propane fireplace? What about a propane tank attached to the grill in the outdoor kitchen - not just a free standing gas grill but one of those real built in grills in a real built in outdoor kitchen structure. Just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks