• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Protection On The Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debra

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Hello!

My husband and brother keep telling me that I need to take the required classes to get a permit and then carry a gun to my appraisal appointments. Do you carry any protection? If so-what??? Debra :eek: ;) :D

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Yes, but I grew up around guns, and they are a fun hobby. I know they can be intimidating for those who have never held one, much less had any professional classes. But...... the big BUT..... is if you are going to carry a weapon, you better be darn sure you have the will and ability to use it. Or it will be taken from you and used against you. Then I'm sure you can imagine what the end result could be, as the perpetrator really doesn't care about you.

Many police or sheriff departments offer free, or really cheap, gun safety/use and personal protection classes. I took my wife, and we went through the whole course together. Even after having been in previous safety classes, and knowing all about guns since my youth, I learned much more. So my suggestion is to make your husband and brother take the class WITH YOU. ;) But even after the classes, if you feel that it's just not for you...... then DO NOT CARRY a weapon.

Also, take a women’s self defense class. Women carry thing like a purse, and things in a purse, that can be a very good and lethal weapon when needed. If you do not know of any one in your area that teaches this type of class, ask around in the local police or sheriff dept. I’d bet they know who to call. Many of these type instructors are retired officers.

P.S. if you do want to carry a gun. The BEST one I have found for men or women is the Smith & Wesson Airlite "Lady Smith" .38 revolver. I think they also make it in a 9mm. Either one would do well. It's small, very light weight due to composite construction, and has a concealed hammer so it won't snag on anything. These run about $600, but are my favorite, and it's what I bought my wife. Don’t be cheap, you get what you pay for when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have the 3913 semi-auto 9mm, but have found that the 3913 is ONLY for experienced handlers. As a concealed weapon, revolvers are safer than a semi-auto. Pull the trigger, they go bang. No miss firing, no jamming. Don't let your husband or brother talk you into a big cumbersome gun that hold 10 bullets. The concealed weapon is made for close contact shots, not for target shooting at 50 feet out. If you have a big one with a 5 or 6 inch barrel, the perpetrator is not going to stand back for ya.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I've been around the block a few times and shot at a number of times in Vietnam so I think that I have become fairly conscious of what is going on around me. There seems to be 3 or 4 times a year where I back away from a situation or something just don't feel right about where I am and what is happening. At these times, usually just get the hell of of Dodge. It has worked so far but the past does not dictate the future.

That's why in a few months I'll have my CCW. Then I will carry my .40 S&W into these situations; just to be sure. Like M Leggett, I too was raised around and taught to us guns all of my life. Even so, the Personal Protection course I took from the NRA in preparation for the CCW pointed out the responsibility and some of the ramifications of handgun ownership.

Would I use it? In the event of an overt threat on my life or safety or that of another person, yes I would. Reluctantly yes. But I have already made that decision before applying for the CCW. If you don't know if you could use deadly force in self-defense, you are most likely better off without one. You would be better off to get some bear spray to use as protection.

If you've never shot a gun, before you make the decision, take a course from a good, qualified instructor and see if it is for you. Once you understand that the use of a weapon in self-defense most likely will result in the assailants death, and you are ready to accept that fact, then again, talking to the instructor, find out what kind of weapon would be best for you.

Carrying a gun is something that is not to be taken lightly. Consider well.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Excellent replies.

I have a Smith & Wesson snub nose .38 revolver. I know how to use it well. I know I would use it if necessary. I hope that situation NEVER happens! I feel better knowing I have it.

LEARN and KNOW about yourself; how you really do feel about carrying a gun. If you feel that you couldn't use it when needed, don't carry one. If you know that you could use it when needed, learn to use it very well.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Clipboard and logger's measuring tape. I was once
cornered by a German Shepard who came running
at me. I raised the logging tape in a throwing
motion and had decided in my mind I was going
to get one good slam into those big teeth. I was ready
to rumble. The German Shepard decided to back
down, even though I was in his 'hood. I backed
away, keeping eye contact, and exited.

The clipboard works great when you need to wack
a little kid----only kidding.

elliott

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Large Heavy Duty Magnum Flashlight
If I have to go into a "bad' area I just watch my back or have a fellow appraiser tag along. Not into guns, but know quite a few local appraisers who are "packing". :sniper:

TC

Mike Simpson

Mel & Richards comments regarding gun safety should be taken to heart...guns are always loaded (even when they're not) and trigger locks should be utilized when you're not carrying your gun.

My weapon of choice is a Glock--model 23--.40 calibre. My wife's is a Ruger--model P95DC--9mm (big gun for a woman). Going to the indoor range is a family event--meeting our son & his girlfriend. My wife & son's girlfriend have become quite good shots.

Additionally, I've an extensive martial arts background, once worked at a Maximum Security Prison and was a member of the Special Tactics Assault Team (S.T.A.T.). I've worked at a bodyguard & bouncer. I'm 6'4" 275 lbs., and can handle myself physically.

Of the martial arts I've studied--I like Ju Jitsu for women (Ju Jutsu for the technically correct). It's a no nonsense...down & dirty...poke em in the eyes and shove their nose into their brain self defense.

Affordable Ju Jitsu tapes can be obtained by logging onto www.harbrodojo.com. Professor Harold (Hal) Brosious is a 10th degree black belt and Grandmaster of the Ketsugo style Ju Jitsu. It's my understanding he has three tapes in the Library of Congress. O'Sensei Brosious is now in his 70's (I became his student in 1974), but his techniques are quite effective.

-Mike

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Personally I carry a HK 9MM. Little bulky to conceal and have considered stepping down to a smaller compact HK version. As others stated take a training course first. This will help you understand better of the possible ramifications. Remember when you have to pull it just be prepared. There has been several times where I have felt better about having pistol than not. The biggest thing though is always understand and be aware of your surroundings. If you ever feel uncomfortable step back and walk away. Also listen to your gut instinct if the hairs on the back of your neck stand up watch out. As others stated take a womans self defense class they can teach you alot. Martial arts are good but they are an ongoing thing. Ju jistu is a good no none sense one that will teach someone to disable an opponent quickly.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
S & W .38 Special. The Carry Permit is pretty easy to get around here.

Patrick W

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I am familar with weapons, am also a vietnam vet and have several weapons in my home. I on the other hand would rather be prudent and aware of each situation I find myself in. I believe a weapon might make one slightly less careful because you feel you have something extra to protect you. Also in todays world if you shoot someone, even if you feel you have every reason to do so, be prepared for a lawsuit by the one shot or their next of kin. The prosecutor may also argue that you could have found another way out of the situation besides shooting someone. I know about the old saying "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6" but after you are victimized once again, this time by the system, you might question your decision and wonder if this all could have been avoided. I believe with all the appraisals done each and everyday the percentage of appraisers that are in jeopardy of their lives is very small indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks