• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Purchasing question...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Cowan

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
What do you tried and true experts think about this situation:

I am in the process of purchasing a home (my first, YEAH ME!). Anyway, I was employed by an fee appraisal outfit for about 6 months before moving to a county assessment job (salary is great!!). I am getting my financing through a client who I did some work for, and I have requested that he send the appraisal to my former employer. I figured he (former emploer) might give me a break on the price since we are still on speaking terms. So what, if any, potential pit-falls do you see in this situation. I am thinking( keep in mind I have only 6 months experience), all that my former employer will have to do is disclose that I was his former employer.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
If your former employer is an ethical guy....and I have absolutely no reason to think otherwise.....what's the need to disclose that you and he happen to be acquainted, or even worked together ? It will not affect his approach to the assignment in any way. However, be a little fair to your friend and don't expect that you will "get a break on the price" because you know each other. If that were the case my barber would be paying me to cut my hair ! When you refer to "price" break I will assume you mean the fee to do the report. I did my neighbor's place two summers ago for his PMI premium waiver and I charged him full fee.....and he would not have wanted it any other way. If you and the former employer are "still on speaking terms", then lock that in and pay him the usual fee for the diligence he will commit to your assignment. This may help you avoid the potential pitfalls you were wondering about. Enjoy your new home !

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
I don't see a need to disclose a past employment. And asking for a perticular appraiser is the customers right. You know his work, and want an honest opinon. But I would not ask for a freebie, or a discount. If he offers, fine. But I would go in expecting to pay the typical loan cost fees.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I would disclose the former relationship just to be one the safe side. Seems everytime I do a favor for someone it comes back to haunt me.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Seems everytime I do a favor for someone it comes back to haunt me.

Ain't that the truth. I helped someone a while back and now every time I turn around they call wanting something....kinda like i am the axe and hose behind the "break in case of fire". thankee kindly but fight your own fires or turn down the jobs.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
State
Nevada
If you ask for or expect to get a price break you may no longer be on speaking terms with this person. I don't ask for reduced fees when I use a service from someone I know and I expect the same courtesy unless I choose to do so. As far as disclosing the prior relationship, doesn't seem necessary to me but that should up to the appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks