• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Pvc-abs Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz South

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Did an FHA inspection this a.m. In checking the crawl space, I saw that the water piping was a combination of PVC (white) and ABS (black) piping. These two types of plastic pipe DO NOT belong together. There is no known glue that will bond these two types of piping. The puchaser/borrower was in the crawl space at the same time as I was and to make the situation even stranger - he is an inspector for the county. He also saw the problem with the mismatched pipes. There was no leak, but its just a matter of time before the glue breaks free. Could last who knows how long. The mismatch of these pipes do not meet building codes. (I was a licensed plumber in my younger life).

Most appraisers wouldn't know this fact unless it was pointed out to you. (no offense but unless you have plumbing background you wouldn't recognize this problem)

Should I condition this on the VC sheet. Its not a problem now, its not leaking right now, but the borrower knows that it is wrong and I know its wrong, but the fact that I know its wrong is not in my capacity as an appraiser, but from being a plumber.

Looking for astute advice.

Liz S.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I don't see why it matters how you know it is a problem. Just that you do know it is a problem. So I would say report it. I think not reporting a known problem is simply wrong. Doesn't matter who you are or were.

I am a home inspector and if I happen to know something like that I report it.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I would report it, stating that no current leak was noted, but that this combination is known for not holding together.

Just state the facts as you know them and let the UW decide what they want to do about it.

Yes, if I see something that I happen to know about whether or not most other appraisers would not know it, I still report it.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
I agree, your job is to report material facts. If the owner refuses to fix it, that is between the owner and buyer or lender.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Liz,

I look at it this way...if it looks like a "home-made" job, it needs a certification because it probably a'int done right......which seems to be true in your case

Ben

JSmith43

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You have to give the seller some credit for honesty. At least they didn't try and paint the pipes to match.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
:rofl:
Sounds like many years of experiance there Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks