• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Quandary and/or Minefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
I have a request for a Field Review; at a glance the appraiser did a poor job in comparable selection, and may have overvalued the property.
The appraiser’s name & company are on the report, not blanked-out – luckily I don’t know him, and so have no bias.

I’m sick of reading misleading reports and having the culprit just walk away.
If I have a misleading report here, I want to send a complaint on to the State Board.

However, I’ve gotten lots of SOWs where the Client expressly states that I am not to discuss the report or my conclusions with anyone.
The way I see it, if I accept a review assignment with those conditions, my hands are tied - there is no way that I can send a complaint to the State Board.

In addition, there is the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act to consider – If I turn in an appraisal together with the appraiser, am I in violation there??
-and-
then there’s USPAP which requires me to turn a bad appraisal in.

Quandary

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
This is not legal advice.

GLB prohibits the dissemination of nonpublic personal information. There is a website full of guidance on what that is...

Subchapter one deals with these definitions.

here is a link:

http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/glbact/glbsub1.htm

By the way, I consult for GLBA compliance in the Auto industry.

This is also a good link of "plain English GLBA stuff.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/glbshort.shtm

Decide what you want. My guess would be that a Jursidictional Exception would be an appropriate reason to disregard these rulings.

It is my opinion, and only my opinion, that it wouldn't be an infraction anyway.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Refer to the confidentiality section under Ethics. Line 289 to 294. You can disclose confidential information and assignment results to state enforcement agencies.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Refer to the confidentiality section under Ethics. Line 289 to 294. You can disclose confidential information and assignment results to state enforcement agencies.
Yes, if the state or lawful agent compels you to report or disclose.

Under USPAP, there is no provision for you to voluntarily disclose or report.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Yes, if the state or lawful agent compels you to report or disclose.

Under USPAP, there is no provision for you to voluntarily disclose or report.

If is no provision then there is no prohibition.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Greg I think you are reading that to suit your needs. I think if your client says NO .. it means NO ... my personal opinion is you cant disclose that report to the state without violating USPAP yourself. Its a very slippery slope you are on.

Brad Ellis

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
PE,

Not so.

First, state enforcement agencies are specifically named as exclusions to the confidentiality portion of the ethics rule.

Second, turning in an appraiser to a state agency will not be called a violation of GLB.

If Riick thinks it ought to go to the state then he ought to turn it in.

Brad

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Most professional organizations require you to turn in a bad apprasial to the state as well.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
PE,

Not so.

First, state enforcement agencies are specifically named as exclusions to the confidentiality portion of the ethics rule.

Second, turning in an appraiser to a state agency will not be called a violation of GLB.

Brad

I'm liking Brad on this one.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
PE,

Not so.

Brad
Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks