• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Question about state Appraisal boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
Good morning all.

I'm very frustrated, and at the end of opportunity for the time being.
I have tried now for the second time, to obtain permission from the Maine state board to sit for the certified residential exam. I have the education, complex work, appropriate hours, and appropriate signatures and co-inspections.

I was denied yet again. Only after 4 months of the board changing their meetings to incorporate hearings, sickness, and any other excuse available in order to NOT make a decision before the new 2008 rules for anyone currently in the process.

One of my co-workers passed through the process with light-speed prior to coming to work with the company that I work with.

Interestingly enough, her complex examples were deftly lacking summary, her math was off on the life estate formulas, and her H&BU Analysis was 3 sentences.

Aye,Aye,Aye......

I have witnessed the carnage that happens when a person challanges any of the board's decision. As matter of fact, this board has proudly never reversed a decision.

A few months back I was at one of the open meetings and a highly respected CG challenged the board, and walked out of the meeting in tears. I was just nervous watching the process, and I could problably debate anyone.

Does anyone out there have any dealings with a state board, when there is a strong justification in their defense to progress forward in licensure??

I'm willing to be given any criticism here. Hell, I might just not be as smart as the average bear. Who knows..

Thanks for any response.

Steer

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Welcome aboard Steer.

"I was denied yet again."

On what basis?

To whom does your Board report?

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
Mike,

This was my second time to apply. First time around they said that the properties were not "complex enough"; yea, I thought the same thing...

This time around, I spoke with the coordinator who wrapped up the meeting that day, and she wouldn't comment. I am awaiting the letter, but the coordinator said that any complaints could be directed to
the state office of licensure and registration.

I'm starting to wonder if I somehow ****** a board member off by doing an appraisal that they didn't like.

Nothing seems to add up with this process. This time, or the last

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
If you want the goods on appraisal injustice in ND, please PM me with your email address and I'll send you a story you may not want to read but will absolutely not understand if you get through it all!

Brian Weaver

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Illinois
In Illinois we have a process in place that mirrors other professions in the state. If the the Board's final recommendation is to deny an upgrade, the recommendation is forwarded to the agency director under my signature. If he signs the order accepting the Board's recommendation, the paperwork is sent back to me. I generate a "denial" letter that spells out how the licensee must now file suit in circuit court within 35 days.

Unlike most states, the Board ONLY makes recommendations. It is the Division of Professional Regulation that denies and approves.

Is it better or worse than how other states act?

I don't know.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Good morning all.

I'm very frustrated, and at the end of opportunity for the time being.
I have tried now for the second time, to obtain permission from the Maine state board to sit for the certified residential exam. I have the education, complex work, appropriate hours, and appropriate signatures and co-inspections.

I was denied yet again. Only after 4 months of the board changing their meetings to incorporate hearings, sickness, and any other excuse available in order to NOT make a decision before the new 2008 rules for anyone currently in the process.

One of my co-workers passed through the process with light-speed prior to coming to work with the company that I work with.

Interestingly enough, her complex examples were deftly lacking summary, her math was off on the life estate formulas, and her H&BU Analysis was 3 sentences.

Aye,Aye,Aye......

I have witnessed the carnage that happens when a person challanges any of the board's decision. As matter of fact, this board has proudly never reversed a decision.

A few months back I was at one of the open meetings and a highly respected CG challenged the board, and walked out of the meeting in tears. I was just nervous watching the process, and I could problably debate anyone.

Does anyone out there have any dealings with a state board, when there is a strong justification in their defense to progress forward in licensure??

I'm willing to be given any criticism here. Hell, I might just not be as smart as the average bear. Who knows..

Thanks for any response.

Steer

One of our trainees last year had a hell of a time getting her authorization letter to take the state exam. After two excuses that they lost her submitted experience logs, requests after they finally received it to have the information rearranged in a format only known to the board and resubmitted and multiple other delays this trainee finally wrote the Governor's office. Surprisingly, 2 weeks after she wrote the Governor she got her authorization letter. So she said.....

Another of our trainees is currently trying to take the state exam. However, he found out that they, as of now, have changed the test because they were not happy about the last test. It's something involving the AI and if he takes the test now he'll have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to take it again should he not pass. I don't know if, since the AI is involved, this is something that might be affecting you.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
I started the same proces in New Hampshire, but stopped after Maine halted reciprocity with them. I met with the New Hampshire CG contact that reviews work samples for the state, and was surprised to find that they are more concerned with accuracy and providing good summary.

Maine seems to be different than other states. Regardless of all other items being met; ie education, hours, complex work examples, etc., they can and do reject similar requests to mine. I do realize that I am not perfect, and certainly don't know everything. I enjoy the industry though. Every day is a learning experience. Whether I want it to be or not!

I have spoken with a few people that have experienced very similar dealings with this board.

I suppose that my next step is to ask for a "re-look" at the work samples that I submitted 4 months ago.

I just do not want to go before these people. It's very intimidating, even as a bystander. Aside from the board members, the district attorney is present, and the poor people that go before the board are blasted from minute # 1.

We'll see...

Last edited:

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I just do not want to go before these people. It's very intimidating, even as a bystander. Aside from the board members, the district attorney is present, and the poor people that go before the board are blasted from minute # 1.

Intimidation and the fear factor is what keeps boards in charge of the plantation.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
USPAP,

There is plenty of that with this group. I agree that some appraisers should be blasted for inequity, but the board seems to have a vendetta against people attempting to move up in licensure.

who really knows....

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
USPAP,

There is plenty of that with this group. I agree that some appraisers should be blasted for inequity, but the board seems to have a vendetta against people attempting to move up in licensure.

who really knows....

Sorry BUT I'm betting you KNOW I'll disagree with you IF the Board is "screwing" with you Isn't it your DUTY to get in their face & ask why??

IF your going to be SCARED of what people are going to say to you, get to H#!!! out of the business cause with this market, IF your doing Appraisals properly your going to hear much worse things than any board member can say to you.

Now "Buck UP" & remember it is against the LAW for any Apprasisal Board member to KILL YOU, So you have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks