• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Question for those who work nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I know that some appraisers who specialize in a particular segment of commercial work (hotels, resorts, malls, power plants...) have assignments throughout the county. Do you need to partner with someone who is licensed in each state you work in, or do you get reciprocal licenses for each state?

PL1957

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
I know that some appraisers who specialize in a particular segment of commercial work (hotels, resorts, malls, power plants...) have assignments throughout the county. Do you need to partner with someone who is licensed in each state you work in, or do you get reciprocal licenses for each state?
From what I've seen, usually one of two things happens:

1. You hold licenses in the states in which you do the most work and get temps for everything else; or

2. You ignore licensing requirements all together because those are only for "the little people"

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
I don't work nationally, but I know some that do.

Here's some things I've learned.
  • If you are not appraising FRTs, you don't need a license to appraise in nonmandatory licensing states.
  • If one is appraising FRTs, then there are several licensing options that are used. Some appraisers are licensed in all of the states they work. Othertimes, the office has several branches, and the appraisers in those offices are licensed in a few, different from those in other offices.
  • Appraisers can also get temporary licenses if necessary. I'm haven't discussed that issue with anyone and am not familiar with it.

Luzette Eaves

Professional Status
State
New York
Temporary licenses for FRT's. Each appraiser needs their own, so partnering won't be enough.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Each appraiser needs their own, so partnering won't be enough.

That is not a correct statement. the licensing requirements vary from state to state. Most only require that one appraiser be licensed within the jurisdiction. In fact it does not even have to be the one inspecting the property.

Luzette Eaves

Professional Status
State
New York
Maybe, lets try again.

I have worked in quite a few states, and for the ones I have experience in, anyone coming into the state must have a temporary licenses for FRT's. I have had others signing that did not get a temporary permit, if they did not enter the state.
Mandatory states require it for non-FRT's also. They are very easy to obtain for most states, and the best way to cover yourself.

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Maybe, lets try again.

I have worked in quite a few states, and for the ones I have experience in, anyone coming into the state must have a temporary licenses for FRT's. I have had others signing that did not get a temporary permit, if they did not enter the state.
Mandatory states require it for non-FRT's also. They are very easy to obtain for most states, and the best way to cover yourself.
My understanding has always been that, if it's not a mandatory state, everything defaults to the client's requirements. Some clients require that everyone working on the assignment be licensed in that state, others require that at least one person be licensed.

SharperImage

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
When I work out of state, I get a temporary license. Very easy to get, you don't have to jump through a lot of hoops and the license in some states is location specific. The cost is in the $100 to $200 range.

Last edited:

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Temporary practice certificates are inexpensive but some states limit the number granted to an individual in a particular year--Ohio for instance

Last edited:

Brian Weaver

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Illinois
In Illinois...its for ONE assignment although the temp is good for six months. So...you can't tell us you're appraising a Marriott property...then do six hotels under Fairfield or Courtyard.
In Alaska...they want a copy of the report you do. Not us. I've got enough paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks