• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Question on PDF preview in WinTotal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claude From NY

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Hello All,

When "printing" to a PDF from within WinTotal I was able to get a preview of the Adobe PDF prior to saving and closing out the WinTotal file. Now I can't do that anymore and it seems to coincide with a Windows XP update and or WinTotal update I did the other day. Is there some option that has been changed?

Thanks to all responses, great forum.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I rarely do this fuction, but just tried it and it worked fine. I just installed the latest XP update this morning too.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Claude,

I'm not too sure of your question as I don't use a la mode and I am not familiar with their preview function. But the process seems similar to Appraiser's Toolbox which is once you print to a PDF file, Adobe reader launches automatically and you can see the PDF file of the appraisal. From there you can either print it or email it. If that is what you're still trying to do, then there's a program in the Start-up menu that should be activated. I had the same thing happen when I installed an update. Somehow the prgram was unchecked in the Start-Up menu....

Anyway.

Go to Start, then to Run in Windows XP. In the Run box type "msconfig" without the quote markes. Click on the OK button

When the menu comes up click on the Start-Up tab which will show you all the programs launched at start-up.. Then scroll down the list until you find a program called Acrobat Assistant. Make sure there is a check mark in the box next to it. If there isn't one, that is your problem. Check the box and reboot. Acrobat/Adobe will launch automatically after you're done printing to PDF.

If that's not it, then post back because there's some other stuff you can do inside Distiller to make it launch automatically but I doubt if the update changed that.

Ben

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Not familiar with Alamode (except for their business practices) but the standard PDFWriter dialog box (when you choose "Print") has a check box for "View PDF file" that, when checked, will display the resulting PDF file once created.

Claude From NY

Professional Status
State
New York
Ben,

Hi. Yes Adobe won't launch automatically anymore. I did check start-up and Acrobat Assistant was enabled. Must be something else. Thanks for your help.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Claude,

As Pat suggested, it's time to mess with Distiller.

Go to Programs, Adobe Acrobat, then click on Distiller. When the box comes up, go to File, Preferences and see if the "View PDF when using Distiller Printer" box is checked.

Let me know if that works.

Ben

Claude From NY

Professional Status
State
New York
Ben,

Yup, That did the trick! Thanks again for your help.

Claude

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
You will love using the distiller, makes files much much smaller and faster to send. I am using XP Pro and the .pdf window pops up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks