• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Questions On Career Of A Real Estate Appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Sexton

Freshman Member

I am strongly considering a career as a Real Estate Appraiser. Since I am someone who is interested in Real Estate, and like being outside,(not stuck in a office), I feel this could be a good career for me. However, I need some information on the subject from some experienced appraisers. What is the average salary? How hard is it to get into the business? I keep hearing about how hard it is. What is the market like for Real Estate Appraisers? How long does it take to get the education to obtain the license to work in this field? What does the education consist of? I have already visited many appraiser sites, and would still like information from an actual appraiser. Also, I have heard that later on a degree might be a requirement. I have a four year degree in English - would that be alright or is it a specific degree they want? I would really appreciate it if someone would get back to me on this. I appreciate your time and effort in reading this, and hope to hear from you soon.

Anna Sexton

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arizona
Anna:

There are numerous posts here that will answer nearly all of your questions. As far as being stuck in an office, keep in mind that the "outside" part of an appraisal constitutes 10 to 20% of the whole process.

Dave McReynolds

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Welcome, Anna!

Click on the little red post at the top of this page marked Knowlege Base/ FAQ...

Many of the answers to your questions are located in that 'read only' forum...

Your final compensation range is going to be highly dependant on the general future of the profession, which is presently in flux, and your geographical location. No real way to answer that. Your compensation is in almost all cases going to be peanuts for the training period, and your outlay in terms of education costs will be fairly substantial...

At present your degree will suffice, but plan on taking some statistics and other classes which are not part of the educational requirements, just to bring yoruself up to speed on some of the 'modern' methods you SHOULD employ in this profession.

You will spend far more time in front of a computer than in the field. sad to say the field time for most of us is decreasing every year :( . If being 'out and about' and having people contact is a goal, look elsewhere. Most of us work in front of a screen pretty solo most of the time.

Many of us like the forum because it provides at least SOME contact with our peers.

Anna Sexton

Freshman Member
I just wanted to thank you guys for replying to my message. I read in some mail I recieved from the Appraiser Institution that your time in the office constituted only 20% of your time in this career. Has it changed for some reason? Do you like being in this profession? Also, I do not see the red post at the top of the page that you told me about. Thanks again for replying to my message. I hope to hear from you soon.

Anna

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Anna:

Start by clicking HERE

(which you can also get to by clicking on the heading Newbies/Appraiser Wannabe above... or from the main screen...)

The top post in the newbie forum has a little red icon at the left, indicating that it is special. {Knowlege Base/ FAQ...} it has a wealth of information in one tidy spot...

With regard to your last question, the in-office time for MOST residential appraisers is certainly greater than 20%, although for some very rural appraisers covering a large territory that 20% may still be true.... After donig this for enough years, your on-site inspection and drive time to shoot comps is the least time consuming part of the project.

The proliferation of on-line sources, not to mention the events of 9/11 make it impractical for many appraisers to go down to the local courthouse and do in-person research... {surrendering all pointed objects and walking through a metal detector puts time on teh research project...) More and more data is available from a high speed internet connection, however NOTHING beats estimating a homes value after having walked around inside and outside to see what shape it is REALLY in.

Were it not for that important factor appraisers would have been replaced by computer models long ago... Note that in many cases we ARE being replaced by computer AVM's (Automated Valuation Models) or non-site inspect 'appraisals'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks