• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Questions/Problems with RapidSketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phill Mypot

Freshman Member
Is anyone else using this? I downloaded the trial version the other day and it seems to be a step up from WinSketch. The problem I am having is plotting half-feet, the program wants to either round up or down to the nearest whole foot which makes calculating an accurate GLA rather difficult! It has an option for plotting feet and inches but I can't get that to work at all. Also, I'm not quite understanding the whole "Snap-To-Grid" application, it wasn't particularly well explained in the tutorial. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I don't know a thing about RapidSketch, but I'm willing to bet there is a preference setting that determines how rounding is done.

If you are interested, the replacement for WinSketch, AreaSketch is on sale until Thursday for $149 as is Medina the replacement for Apex.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Phil:

My associate and I have experimented with Rapid Sketch since last July. We had the same problems you have. We called tech support and they were not much help. We had other problems as well and were not able to get help on those issues either.

We have trashed it. We originally thought it had possibilities but not any more. It just doesn't have it for us.

We are probably going to go with the Apex Medina program although we have not yet gotten our hands on a copy.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Dave:

We released Apex Medina on a limited basis on 12/11/2006. Our servers got slammed and so we began trickling it out again yesterday while the crews worked on server issues. As I understand it, everything is now ready to go full bore today and those who had pre-orders for Apex Medina and those who get the free upgrade (those who purchased Apex v3 from August 1st forward) will get the first notices by email. There should be a brochure on Apex Medina hitting the streets this week and we're hoping that the extra servers and bandwidth allocated will be more than enough to handle the traffic. Anyway, if you're not already on the list, you might look for the brochure and/or check the site later today to see how to get more info, watch the videos or order if desired. I believe that Robert is putting up the "integration" video(s) today. It seems that a lot of people are wondering whether Apex Medina really will integrate with your current forms like we said it does or whether one version of Apex Medina will be usable across several forms packages (multiple vendors) as advertised, so we're putting up videos showing this working.

Hope this helps!

Patrick Davis

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I think I can help here actually.

To have it not round, take off snap to grid (option is in bottom right corner of the screen). This will keep it from rounding automatically when keyboard drawing. Snap to grid is to aid in using the mouse to draw. This is important as many things can be accomplished in our software with the mouse that can't be in others (arcing lines on the fly, free form drawing (no POB), wall editing on the fly, etc). However we understand that keyboard drawing is what most people are used to.

There will be some significant enhancements to snap to grid coming out late december, namely the ability to choose your snap level (1/10's, 1/8's, 1/4's, 1/2's, 1 ft, etc).

Also,

RapidSketch has changed substantially since last July. Tech support is FREE, and is available Monday - Friday from 9am - 5pm EST. We have a few new tools in place to help with training and tech support that allow us to remote control your desktop (with your permission) and show you hands on how to use the software.

Our goal is to offer our product as an alternative to other tools currently available. Your feedback makes up a huge part of future releases and patches to our software. We are able to pay attention to your requests and concerns on a more direct level due to the small size of our company and hope that you take the time to provide us with that feedback.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Pat Davis
Partner, RapidSketch

888.884.5268 x101
[email protected]

Last edited:

Scott R.

Professional Status
State
California
Initial thoughts about Rapid Sketch

I have been using Clickforms with the Area Sketch program that was integrated into it for three months. I am a new appraiser and I am really having a hard time with spending another $200 to continue to use Area Sketch. (I may post another item regarding Bradford Technologies a.k.a. ClickForms soon, depending on the outcome of a recent letter). So.........I downloaded Rapid Sketch at the suggestion of a very helpful person that works at a competitor of ClickForms. I have played with Rapid Sketch for 5 days now. So far....I like it. I had to cut and paste to get the drawing into ClickForms (since Rapid Sketch does not integrate with ClickForms) but it seems to work ok so far. I tried it twice on "test" appraisals with success. My initial though so far....I would rather spend the money on Rapid Sketch than on Area Sketch. Hands down, no question.
Does anyone else have any thoughts....good or bad on Rapid Sketch?
Thank you!

Patrick Davis

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Thanks for the good feedback Scott we appreciate it.

FYI: We have an update coming out sometime in the next 14 days that adds a ton of new features, updates are automatic and free, stay tuned!

-Pat Davis

Martyn Holgate

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
I have been using Rapid Sketch for a month now and it works great, although I would have liked to have a text editor built in to add a disclaimer to my sketches, I managed to do it by saving an image of the text and adding to the finished sketch. It may be in the updates but otherwise I have no complaints about the program in general and can't beat the price.

Michael Chu

Professional Status
State
Georgia
There will be some significant enhancements to snap to grid coming out late december, namely the ability to choose your snap level (1/10's, 1/8's, 1/4's, 1/2's, 1 ft, etc).
Hopefully, the program will accomodate this in the near future. I downloaded the demo this month and nothing has changed, yet.
Another area of improvement would be to let users download more symbols, instead of providing a meager drawing tool and making us create basic shapes. Waste of time. I am not an artist.

Patrick Davis

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Michael,

The new update out next week allows for drawing on the keyboard in feet and inches (not just tenths), and mouse drawing precision selectable to feet, half feet, quarter feet, and inches. We also added a configurable angle snap that allows you to snap to 1,5,15,45,90 degree angles while drawing. Additionally we added over 50 new symbols due out at the same time.

I'll post back here the day the update is released.

Thanks,

Pat Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks