• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Radon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert McCullam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
IF A DWELLING HAS A RADON VENTING SYSTEM; WHICH SECTION DO YOU NOTE IT IN:AN "ADDITIONAL FEATURE" OR THE "ADVERSE ENVIRONMENTAL"
HERE IN NJ THE WHOLE STATE IS CLASSIFIED AS A POTENTIAL RADON ZONE TO DIFFERENT DEGREES.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
B) Robert,

Having taught many environmental courses to appraisers as well as other, I would like to offer these suggestions. If the venting is permanent, I would list it as a feature but would also explain why it was installed as an addendum to the environmental section of the URAR, etc. I would explain if this is a feature that was installed during construction, or if it was installed after the fact, why it was installed. In other words, was there a radon problem that has now been corrected. If the feature is simply force fans to force out tadon gas at the lowest level of the structure, are they permanent, and if so in what manner are they permanent.

In other words, the added benefit of the radon prevention method may be an added benefit and considered an adjustable feature. In any case, it should be explained & there is too little room on the URAR to do that.

BTW, I had an opportunity a few years ago to teach a course on doing a Phase I site assessment at a Holiday inn in Newark, NJ. Thas was to a group of environmental engineers, scientist(PHD Level) as well as mortgage lenders, real estate agents and appraisers. A very eclectic group but we had lot's of fun. Was interesting to note that the hotel was on top of toxic waste :blink:

Just for the record, typing in all caps on the forum is the equivilant of shouting. Just thought you might like to know.

Don

Robert McCullam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Don,

Thanks for the response, it confirms the direction I was going.

Also, didn't mean to shout. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks