• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ranting/ Re Broker & Lo

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Just when I think I've heard it all, I'm always surprised.

We got a call yesterday from a LO in the Lake Tahoe area. My daughter took the call. We have been working for tham on a consistent basis. He was was trying to get me to do an appraisal on his own house while I was at the lake yesterday. He kept asking my daughter if I would just drive by his house and give him an idea if the value would be at least $1,500,000. My daughter says no can do. Then the whining starts. He wants to talk to me now because he is just trying to build a relationship here because they give all of their work to only one appraiser. Nikki tries to explain the USPAP stuff but to no avail. He insists on talking to me so we can build a relationship. Yea right.

While I'm at the lake yesterday, I walk into a RE office to get a key to do an inspection. The listing agent meets with me to tell me everything I need to know. She starts by interrogating about how long have I been appraising at the lake and do I really know the market. I assured her that I knew and had been working in the area for at least 10 years. She said she didn't remember ever working with me before but she had. As the conversation was ending, she looked at me and asked, what kind of an appraiser are you? I must of looked puzzled. She said, are you one of those appraisers that doesn't always give us the value we need to make our deals work? I was speechless which is rare for me. She says, what I mean is, have you ever appraised a property below the sale price in this area before? My response was, of course I have. At that point, I sensed this loving relationship was nearing an end. Just to put me in my proper place, she let me know that there are three or four appraisers around that she refuses to let work on her deals because they don't hit every sale price. Very soon there could be one more. The urge to grab her by the throat and squeeze was overwhelming but I used the proper restraint.

I want to end this rant on a good note. We are shuting our office down at noon today and will not reopen until Monday morning. Ole dad is walking his second and youngest daughter down the aisle on Saturday. Not many things tougher on dads than being the second most important man in their daughter's lives but I know it has to happen so we can have grandchildren. I will touch base again with my Forum friends again on Monday morning.

hal380

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Hi Larry;

How insulting, I would have been speechless too. Maybe even not able to be unbiased on that appraisal.

Regards and best wishes to the happy couple :beer:

Hal

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Larry the situations I really love are when I have to speak with the buyer's agent and they began questioning whether or not the value will be there. Far too often the agent is a war horse Real-a-tore who obvioulsy dozed off during their ethics updates. I still am of the belief that many of them are open to a lawsuit if they claim to be representing the buyer and yet their compensation is directly related to how high the contract price is. Maybe the tobacco lawyers with the lear jets will begin a class action suit someday. :)

Grace

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I have absolutely no patience for Realtors, Loan Agents, etc. I'm always curteous and polite, but that's it. When loan agents and Realtors praise my work and say all these nice things, I just know it's because the value was there and I appraised the home correctly. The same agents turn into raving lunatics (sometimes during the same phone call) if I tell them I can't reach the number they're looking for.

I choose to work for lenders from out of the area. I get calls from all over the U.S., why would I work for some local Realtor who inevitably has a problem with my value. I even told a very nice local loan agent that if she continues to argue / question my value every time I do an appraisal for her, she might want to look for another appraiser, perhaps one she could "trust". Really, who's the appraiser, her or me? If it's me, they get off my back and let me so my job.

I don't beleive in being "loyal" or doing the bulk of my business with one company, they inevitably want favors. I don't do favors.

I used to be such a nice person, it was a long time ago.

Grace

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Forget about the scum brokers & unethical agents for a weekend & have a happy wedding! Hope everything goes well, & good luck to the newlyweds!

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Next time ask this pin-head realtor to show you their appraisal license. Ask them how long they have been appraising.........

Just had a realtor tell me that my proposed appointment date "violated" their closing date!!! I promptly cancelled the order with my client. Now the realtor will really be violated!

Mike Simpson

Larry-

Congratulations to you & your daughter...looks like a great weekend to have a wedding!

I flew down to Carson City last year when my little brother was looking to buy a home. I helped him select a home inspector (not in the back pocket of the agents), and went along as an observer when they viewed the home they were considering buying.

I lived in your region for 11 years and I gotta tell ya, the brokers, agents, and LO's down there are a breed apart!

My brother told his agent I'd built homes, inspected them, appraised them, and was an agent myself in the Puget Sound Region. Despite this information the agent still attempted to do the broker boogie on him. The guy even took my brother by the arm, walked him some distance away from me and began whispering to him (I guess he didn't think my brother would tell me what he had to say).

To make a long story short; my brother would eventually be forced to hire an attorney to get his earnest money back, and he filed an ethics complaint. Stupid bahavior really, if the broker would have treated him right he'd have used them to find a new house, however, this kind of agent builds their fortune one kill at a time and isn't concerned about their reputation.

I'd have asked the agent in your example who the blacklisted appraisers were. Then you could all get together and discuss how to handle this over the top agent. I've actually turned on my heel and walked out on agents on more than one occasion--I like the silly look on their face. I've also removed myself from completing an assignment. I cited the agents abhorrent behavior as the reason--I could no longer be considered an unbiased party when the agent was acting in such an unprofessional manner.

-Mike

Mike Simpson

I once had an agent tell me they'd never heard of me

"That stands to reason...I've never heard of you either."

-Mike

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I once had an agent tell me they'd never heard of me
I take that as a complement. ;)
Thanks! I'm glad to NOT have a reputation among the snake pit of sales folks. <_<

BigBlueGA

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Larry,

You should had beat her over the head with a 100' tape.

Don't worry too much about the wedding.. your daughter may have another man in her life but always know that the new son-in-law will always be afeared of big daddy :twisted: and ultimately I am sure you are still her #1... :D

(Looking forward to the day that I have a daughter and I get to play with her dates' heads.... :twisted: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks