• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Re-Certification of Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

train

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
How do you guys do a re-certification of value these days?

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Not trying to be funny but do you really know when you can do a recert. Most people do not.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
ADVISORY OPINIONS

Clarification of Terminology (AO-3)
Various terms have been developed by clients and client groups for certain appraisal assignments, including “updates” and “recertifications.” While such terms may be convenient for use in a business setting, they do not necessarily impart the same meaning in every situation.

The term “Update” is often used by clients when they are seeking a current appraisal of a property that was the subject of a prior assignment. This practice is addressed in this Advisory Opinion.

The term “Recertification of Value” is often mistakenly used by some clients in lieu of the term “Update.” A Recertification of Value is performed to confirm whether or not the conditions of a prior appraisal have been met. A Recertification of Value does not change the effective date of the value opinion.

If a client uses this term in an assignment request that includes an updated value opinion, then it constitutes a new appraisal assignment that must be completed as discussed in this Advisory Opinion.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
How do you guys do a re-certification of value these days?

Provide a specific situation and you'll receive more specific responses.

What is your understanding of the words "re-certification of value"?

train

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
ADVISORY OPINIONS

Clarification of Terminology (AO-3)
Various terms have been developed by clients and client groups for certain appraisal assignments, including “updates” and “recertifications.” While such terms may be convenient for use in a business setting, they do not necessarily impart the same meaning in every situation.

The term “Update” is often used by clients when they are seeking a current appraisal of a property that was the subject of a prior assignment. This practice is addressed in this Advisory Opinion.

The term “Recertification of Value” is often mistakenly used by some clients in lieu of the term “Update.” A Recertification of Value is performed to confirm whether or not the conditions of a prior appraisal have been met. A Recertification of Value does not change the effective date of the value opinion.

If a client uses this term in an assignment request that includes an updated value opinion, then it constitutes a new appraisal assignment that must be completed as discussed in this Advisory Opinion.

Yes. And thanks for the info. One of my associates "borrowed" my USPAP, so I couldn't put my hands on it.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Yes. And thanks for the info. One of my associates "borrowed" my USPAP, so I couldn't put my hands on it.

I don't want to throw a yellow flag on this thread, but I call a foul! This advisory opinion has been around since 1991 and updated in 2002. Any appraiser that has been active in the last six years should know this advisory opinion!

Approved March 5, 1991
Last Revised June 11, 2002

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
:rof: hahahahaha a foul!! Good one ducky!:beer:

Me thinks the original poster has not had their hand on a copy of USPAP in years...or maybe not opened it.

Heck, just read this forum everyday and you can stay up on USPAP. This forum is just not about getting a good laugh...or is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks