• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Re-inspection on a re-assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

road runner

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I received a new assignment on a property I inspected 2 months ago. The original order was eventually cancelled so I never completed the report. Can I complete the new assignment without re-inspecting the property as long as I disclose the original inspection date in the report?

StephHigdem

Professional Status
State
Idaho
USPAP, liability, certifications & professionalism aside.... why would you want to?

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
It depends on the scope of the assignment.

FWIW, I handle lending assignments more cautiously than a nonlending assignments. For example, if the lender wanted a no-inspection appraisal using information based on a prior appraisal, chances are I wouldn't do it. However, I wouldn't think twice about doing it for an attorney in a nonlending situation.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I received a new assignment on a property I inspected 2 months ago. The original order was eventually cancelled so I never completed the report. Can I complete the new assignment without re-inspecting the property as long as I disclose the original inspection date in the report?

Yes.

If you do, be certain to receive the instruction--in writing--from the client that they will accept your appraisal with the effective date 2 months prior to the date of the request for the appraisal. Following, be certain to report this condition in your report of the appraisal.

But...are you 100% certain that there has been no significant change (including, but not limited to recent sales and other market activity) in the market over these past 2 months? Be careful! If there is any question that market status 2 months ago does not represent the market today, I would not do as you suggest. And, with what has been occuring nationally during the past few months, I'd advise against what you suggest.

Better: inspect again and scrutinize and analyze current data.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Does your certification say anything about an inspection? Do they want an effective date as of your previous inspection date. Your title says re-assignment but I see that you do understand it is a NEW assignment.

AO # 3 (yeah I know, not part of USPAP) gives you 3 suggested options.

While USPAP does not require an inspection, your certification may.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks