• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Re-Val and town assessors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrotta

Recently recieved a notice from the town assessor which states;

here's an update of information regarding your property;

"please describe any factors, positive or negative which you believe will affect your property"

my question would be; (1) if I answer anything here, can I defend the end result of their assessment ? (2) are we able to answer that question and not be in violation of "The Rules" that govern our pratice ??

What say ye :?:

8)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Put in a USPAP discliamer that states you are "not acting as an appraiser in this matter" :lol: :D :) 8O :? :(
...or would that get you in MORE hot water :?: :wink:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
J, I think they are just seeing if YOU are crazy enough to volunteer info since they can not get IN your property.

Come on.....do it, that will help keep your data source accurate. :lol:

A

Anonymous

I don't know about the rules in Conn. but in New Jersey on a revaluation you can't argue that a property suffers from a detremental condition, ie old kitchen, pass through rooms etc. unless the assessor has been allowed to inspect it. I would guess that the assessor is giving you a chance to bring detremental conditions to his attention.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
an' we KNOW every soul in town is just waiting to brag on thier new kitchen, bath, finshed basement and the addition out back, right :?:

:wink:

Chris LaPlante

Freshman Member
Lee Ann,
They don't have a choice. Walt is correct. In NJ., If you prevent the field inspector from doing an interior inspection. The Reval appraiser is required by state law to estimate as to what the contents/condition of your home are. You don't have a summer kitchen in your 100% finished bsmt? You do now ! ! !

jtrotta

OK - whew, this is like pulling teeth :lol:

I have let them go thru the dwelling; they did the outside on their own; and they sent an update of their findings; DUHH

My home has grown in size (guess I didn't anticipate my snowglobe addition) and I think it is way smaller as snowglobes go :lol: :lol: , oh I forgot after the summer of lackluster rain, it did rain quite heavily just before the inspection and somehow I gained several hundred SF of living space :?: :roll: :lol: :lol: 8O and at No Cost to me- I believe that is a wonderful concept - don't U :?: :?:

Now not to loose site of my original question; based in part on some of the State Laws we have to abide by / USPOOP and other implements of mass brain disorientation - I'll mention again, can we legally comment in any way :?:

8)

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would not say a thing positive. It is not your job as a homeowner and taxpayer to tell the assessor things that will raise your taxes. Do tell him about the X-way noise and the new gravel pit down the road and the increase noise from the EMS station next door but forget anything good.

You are not acting as an appraiser but as a homeowner. The assessor sent it to the homeowner. He did not retain you as an appraiser to value your own property.

But don't be silly enough to do his job for him by listing plus items that he can hang his hat on in front of the tax tribunal.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
You are answering their questions as a property owner--not as an appraiser. All property owners will be sending back infor--not just the ones that happen to be an appraiser. And if the assessment office doesn't have the right info, the assessment will be wrong, the taxes not equitable with other similar properties---and appraisers in your community will be complaining about the assessments being very inaccurate. Report I finished a couple of days ago, assessor had included the carport and storage room in the GLA, so the property was being taxed on 300 more feet than actually existed, realtors had listed and sold the property 3 times with too much GLA advertised, etc. A report last week actually had 200 feet GLA less than the assessor's records. Note in assessor's office file that the dimensions of the back of home had been estimated, which caused an error--again the home had been marketed and sold several times in the past with 200 more GLA than actually existed. So help out your neighbors by sharing the tax burden and do your small part in providing accurate information for appraisers--and return the card filled out correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks