• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Realization Is Setting In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
B) Well, I thought it would be about another yaer before this would sink in, but it has started already. Our state of Virginia, like most other states, have acquised to the Appraisal Foundation and have re-written our regulations to require that all USPAP courses must now be taught by an ASB/Foundation Certified Instructor. That really does mean all. Colleges, universities, Community/Junior Colleges, proprietary schools, and just plain folks offering CE now must meet that requirement. Problem is, we do not have enough instructors so qualified to meet all those needs.

Received a call yesterday from a local Real Estate School that is desperately looking for a certified instructor, and will not likely find one. There are only a handful in my state of Virginia. They will probably shut down the appraiser training program. One less place for an aspiring appraiser to receive the pre-license education they will need. Just a few hundred instructors to teach 85,000 appraisers nationwide, as well as the aspiring appraisers and trainees that no one really knows the actual number.

Have also started to see very high prices for the 7 hour mandatory course.

Think about it, a non regulatory private corporation without any actual power, controlling the will of all states and individuals in the USA without any form of oversight except by the ASC, which generally rubber stamos everything they do, with absolutely no accountability to anyone except their own appointed board of directors.

I expect it will finally start to hit home in the next few years when hundreds of appraisers cannot find a course taught by a certified instructor, and licensees start to see their license expire.

Also, several have asked my support and ideas on how to start a grass roots campaign to overturn ths. Good luck. Like putting shaving cream back in a can.

Are we having fun yet?

:beer:

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Don:
Every thing I know about USPAP I learned from reading it and participating in discussions on this forum. What does that tell you? I have had the AI's USPAP class 6 times and taken 6 tests from some of the best instructors in the country, but the Internet is the solution to the problem. If any instructor gets on a forum like this one and doesn't know what he/she is talking about they will be smoked out in a New York minute. The days of sitting in a classroom listening to some buffoon pontificate are history.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Austin,

Yep. Just about everywhere...except PA...still face to face CE. No internet CE allowed... :D

Ben

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
In one of my earlier USPAP courses, the state mandated that the instructor READ THE ENTIRE USPAP TO THE CLASS. :asleep:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:rofl:

Roger:

you are giving away your tenure in the biz...

That WAS Waaayy back when the book was skinny, right :p

smirk.

otherwise it would still be a two day course... and that assumes no discussion at-tall!

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
World Savings offers a course to employee appraisers and approved independant contractors taught by a properly certified instructor. I took it. And yeah, she says there's not many that passed the class to instruct. B)

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
You know what is wrong with USPAP and the new USPAP teaching certification? Nepotism! I learned that in the newbie section the other day. May I go to the front of the class? :unsure:

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
With the exception of Don, who I think is the only ASB cert. instructor here, is their anyone else interested in taking the class and becoming an instructor? Maybe we could all get to gether at one of the class sites for a cram session before the test?

Rich Heyn

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I think there are about 400+/- USPAP instructors. I don't have time to count names on the Foundation website right now.

Assuming 80,000 appraisers on a two year cycle that comes out to 4 classes of 25 appraisers per year per instructor or 2 classes per year per instructor if the average class size is 50.

What am I missing? What's the problem?

Rich Heyn

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Rich:

SOME states have instituted a 'take it now AND take it in the next two year cycle' policy.

Depending on the renewal dates, population base and number of available instructors there *may* be an issue in some specific geographic areas.

I for one get a lot more out of classes of 20 -25...

sooo that makes it more like 8 classes per instructor... IF you assumed all instructors were teaching equally.

Not sure many of the instructors who DID pass are up to giving 8+ classes...

Although some of the pros may increase their instruction of "that class" there may be a resultant 'jam'.

Do you really want to teach USPAP 50 times next year?

You may have the most secure job in the nation at this point :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks