• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reciprocity in Maryland, Virginia, and DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coleman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
South Carolina
My wife is ready to move back to Maryland, closer to her family. My stipulation is that I get to at least the CR level before we move which should happen by this time next year. We will probably be living in Southern Maryland and I intend on getting licensed in Maryland and Virginia. I have looked at the appraiser board websites for both states and am unsure about reciprocity. Maryland has a number of states listed that they consider reciprocal and mine happens to not be on there (South Carolina go figure). So, have any of you Maryland appraisers gotten reciprocity from a state that is not listed on the website? If so, what is the process. For those in Virginia and D.C., I cannot find anything on the website about reciprocity. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
If it's not listed on the website, chances are there is not reciprocity. I would call the state's licensing division to verify.

Reciprocity agreements could change with the new requirements. So reciprocity agreements currently in place may not mean anything after 01-01-2008.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
Dave is right. Reciprocity only exists when your state criteria are equal to or greater than the state from which you are seeking reciprocity. Maryland is a Firm secenario state! is SC taking the segemented approach? As of 1/1/08 everything changes.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Prior to the changes of the past five years MD/DC/VA were very cooperative with each other. But with the changes, all three have different requirements now. So it is very hard to use one to get the other two.

MD is very strict, if SC is not on the list, then I am sure it will not accept. I know PA is not on the list, and they will not recipicate with PA even though their borders touch.

As an example between MD/VA/DC, Virginia will allow online classwork for licensure, while Maryland will not. If you have a Virginia license and wish to use it to apply with Maryland, you need to prove the classwork was not done online. In DC, the newer 1/1/2008 guidelines actually took effect 7/1/06, so if you obtained another states license under the old criteria, as far as I know, DC will not accept it, you need to meet the new standards.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Southern Maryland is Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's County :)

Coleman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
South Carolina
Bethesda and surrounding areas.

So I want to make sure I understand reciprocity corectly. If it does not exist, do I have to redo my education and apprenticeship regardless of experience?

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Your best bet would be to contact the state and ask them directly, each state is different. They might accept your education, maybe not, if it was a national school you have a good chance. In Maryland, if you got your education online, they will not accept for licensing, but do accept it for CE.

Bethesda is in Montgomery County, most people call it "suburban Maryland" as it is close in to DC. There is plenty of work in MoCo under normal conditions, plenty of appraisers too :)

You probably have the link to the state of Maryland, but here is a great link which may also help you, it is for the Maryland Association of Appraisers, they are top notch, provide education and work very closely with the State of Maryland Board.

http://www.mdappraisers.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks