• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Recomendation or Subject To

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Milla

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I did an appraisal on a multi-family in the city where there are many pigeons. From the exterior of the subject, I could see some pigeons in and around the roof area and from inside the walk-up attic I could hear them in the eaves. This was a recent sale 3/08 and now the owner/buyer looking to refi. I have a call into the original listing broker to see if a home inspection was done and if so, what were their findings. Not sure how much help they will be. Pigeons are very common for the city and most property owners use various methods (wired mesh, tacking along perimeter of roof line etc,.) to deter these birds from nesting on their properties. My question is would you recommend or make subject to the current owner installing something to deter the birds. To me it appears to be a health issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Joe,

If pigeons are living inside the structure I would reprt it as an infestation and make it subject an inspection by another expert, check box #4 EA.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
To me it appears to be a health issue.

photos and description of their Residual Excremental Contributory "value" contained in the report? cost to cure cosmetic deferred ...um.......maintenance if they .....erected "condo-coops" inside the attic?

any rental income or are they "squatters". (couldnt resist it's saturday morning).

Joe Milla

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Thanks guys. I would like to know how the other appraiser handled it or did they just ignore the problem. There was a lock on door leading to attic. Owner says they do not want tenant going up there. Most likely because this area is already tenant occupied. They use the windows as thier means of egress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks