• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reference Material for Garage Apt SQFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadbusiness

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
I need a steer to some documentation I can send the lender as to why I am not including a detached garage apartment in with the subject's main SQFT. The American National Standard for Single Family Residential Buildings covers this but is there anything documentation wise that lenders typically use which says this shouldn't be done? The previous appraisal done merged the SQFT together to get 5,000 SF which gave the last appraisal a more favorable value. Its really a 3900 SF main house and an 1100 SF over detached garage. I did my best to get a couple of matches with in law suites, garage apts etc. Appraisal guidelines I've found address calling it and accessory unit/multifamily but I can't track down the source for not adding the SF together. I know adding them is wrong but am looking for another source to supplement ANSI.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
If you have to put on a robe to keep the neighbors from calling the cops when you run to the detached bedroom to get your underwear after your shower, IT AIN"T PART OF THE HOUSE.

Proactive

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Adam,

I think most here will agree with how you have handled this. Why not put this back in the lender's lap? Ask THEM to cite the source where you should include the accessory unit (or other non-contiguous space) in with the GLA. I doubt they will be able to provide one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks