• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

referring appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

appraisalondemand

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
I was wondering what the proper way to refer an appraisal to another appraiser in a city where you are geo incompetent. I received an order for a city that is just outside of my boundaries and I happen to know an appraiser there. Is it best to let the client know first? or the other appraiser. Seems simple, but for some reason I have not crossed this bridge yet and want to make sure to do it correctly.

Thanks

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Many of us on AF routinely refer Clients TO other Ethical Appraisers across the country.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would do it through the client since the appraiser to use is the clients choice.

Call the client, thank him for the order and tell him that you are not comfortable at this time doing appraisals in that market due to a very limited experience. Then tell him that you have checked with a well qualified appraiser in that market whom you know, who does in fact, know that market area. Give him the appraisers name and phone number. Now step back and let the client and the referral appraiser do their thing.

Do not inquire about the order or anticipate any referral fee unless you made arrangements in advance.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
If you know an appraiser in that market area, give the client his/her name and phone number. Unless you anticipate working with that appraiser on the report, maybe to get geo competence, do not ask for or accept a referral fee. They are too small to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks