• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Regulation of banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I am under the impression that federally insured banks (or their employees) are prohibited from not paying for appraisals and from witholding future appraisal assignments as "punishment" of appraisers who do not reach a stipulated result in and appraisal.

Is this (reasonably) accurate?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The prohibitions are in place. Enforcement of those prohibitions may be another story.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
George -

Are those prohibitions in FIRREA, or do they fall under the OCC regulations?

Lloyd Bonafide

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I am under the impression that federally insured banks (or their employees) are prohibited from not paying for appraisals and from witholding future appraisal assignments as "punishment" of appraisers who do not reach a stipulated result in and appraisal.

That's just meaningless paperwork. Let's get back to the real world. :icon_mrgreen:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
They're written into the regs and policies at all the banking regulators, including but not limited to the OCC.

The bigger question is this particular loan file would ever come to the attention of the banking regulators, either during the normal course of their examinations or in the event of a later loan default.

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
They're written into the regs and policies at all the banking regulators, including but not limited to the OCC.

The bigger question is this particular loan file would ever come to the attention of the banking regulators, either during the normal course of their examinations or in the event of a later loan default.
What I've done in the past, when faced with a loan officer who flat told me she wasn't going to pay for the appraiser because they couldn't make the loan based on my number, was to relate the conversation to the bank's compliance officer. I indicated that, unless I was paid immediately, I was going to formally complain in writing, to the bank's regulator. They FedExed a check to me overnight. Nobody wants anything brought to the attention of the regulators - ever.

Last edited:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Speaking personally, I've never once had a bank officer at any regulated lender even suggest that they wouldn't pay an appraisal fee. I've had a couple of them whine about having a hard time paying due to their failure to collect the fee from the borrower via oversight, but they've always come through in the end.

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
What I've done in the past, when faced with a loan officer who flat told me she wasn't going to pay for the appraiser because they couldn't make the loan based on my number, was to relate the conversation to the bank's compliance officer. I indicated that, unless I was paid immediately, I was going to formally complain in writing, to the bank's regulator. They FedExed a check to me overnight. Nobody wants anything brought to the attention of the regulators - ever.

Compliants filed in writing (including emails) to the OCC or OTS are taken seriously. The examination staff provides the initial compliant to the CEO of the institution and he has so many days to answer the complaint. The CEO is liable for providing the examination staff an answer.

Since $hit rolls downhill, and CEOs have better things to do, valid complaints generally come to a quick resolution.

PS. A quick resolution for the OCC and OTS is 30 to 60 days.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Speaking personally, I've never once had a bank officer at any regulated lender even suggest that they wouldn't pay an appraisal fee. I've had a couple of them whine about having a hard time paying due to their failure to collect the fee from the borrower via oversight, but they've always come through in the end.

My experience is the same, I have never, ever had any trouble of this type at all from any bank affiliated mortgage company. The only people who ever tried to to pull this type of BS with me have been mortgage brokers...that is why I am extremely picky about working with mortgage brokers and will never do an appraisal for a mortgage broker unless the fee is COD or unless I know the mortgage broker very well and have a long existing relationship with that broker.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas

Your impression is accurate. The devil is in the details. I know a lady who did 40 appraisals in a portfolio of properties for a regulated bank. They assumed, for some reason that it would cost $5000. She bid it at $250 each. They collected only $5000 from the borrower. In the end they didn't make the loan. They paid her the $5000 and when she asked for the other $5000, they said, not their problem. She charged too much.... This is an arkansas bank that rhymes with Banque of the Aux arcs... When she called the FDIC, they didn't want any part of it, and when the bank found out she had called them, their review appraiser called her and said her reports were not compliant and he would turn all 40 in to the state if she tried to collect....
Great buncha guys right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks