• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Regulatory Costs Driving East/west Coast Housing Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
In today's USA Today supplement, there was a story about how Seattle and other east/west coast cities are making homes unaffordable due to regulations. A builder was saying that the regulatory costs were adding up to $85K in costs, infrastructure cost charges were adding $10-15K per house, and the total home price for a 'starter' home had to be $1.2M for a project to make a profit.

Mayor said that while people want to live in Seattle, it shouldn't come at the expense of those already living there.

A 'we got ours, you can forget it if you want to move here' attitude.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Naw,

More regulations are a code word for more taxes. As long as the pension deficits loom, expect even more regulations that generate review for cities and states. No trees here, only forests.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Speaking of a sugar tax,

Did you know that Snapple is only 5% juice with the rest being water and sugar? So apparently it's only bubbly sugar drinks that get taxed.

And Chocolate bars and kid cereal are safe, 'cause you can't drink them out of the container.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Speaking of a sugar tax,

Did you know that Snapple is only 5% juice with the rest being water and sugar? So apparently it's only bubbly sugar drinks that get taxed.

And Chocolate bars and kid cereal are safe, 'cause you can't drink them out of the container.

Speaking of sugar, the "other" white powder..

Eating high-sugar foods lights up your brain on an MRI “like a Christmas tree,” Dr. Mark Hyman, M.D., founder and medical director of Ultra Wellness Center, said during a recent interview on HuffPost Live. The part of the brain that lights up is the very same part of the brain that’s triggered by cocaine or heroine, according to research by Dr. David Ludwig, M.D., Ph.D.

Last edited:

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Eating high-sugar foods lights up your brain on an MRI “like a Christmas tree,”....... The part of the brain that lights up is the very same part of the brain that’s triggered by cocaine or heroin.....

No disagreement from me.

"Hello, my name is Mark and I'm a chocolate addict."

Every now and then I'll scour the house looking for the Snickers Mini's that my wife hides to keep me from eating the whole bag in one day. She keeps finding really good hiding places. I'm gonna hide her box of wine someday; lets see how she likes it.

As far as CA house prices, a buddy's son just bought a new house in Orange Co. 2,200 sq. ft., $1.1 Mil., 5,000 sq.ft. lot. Crazy. But he just sold his 1,700 sf house for $825K that he bought 2 yrs. ago for $650K.

I'm sure this trend will continue forever; CA real estate never crashes, does it?

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks