• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

REL

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
how is it often said here? a new roof is lipstick on a pig.

Salty

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
A buyer will likely buy and renovate. If my remaining economic life is based on that then it does assume maintenance moving forward. Maintenance in the form of renovation. I have never in my market seen a 30 year old row home razed and someone purchase a tiny lot sandwiched between other town homes.

Unless REL means: if not maintained and the property just sits vacant, how long will it continue to add value to the site.

The idea of taking total life of lets say 60 and determining effective age of 33 thus leaving 27 years is, in my opinion, not REL, but useful life. Useful -vs Economic

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
A buyer will likely buy and renovate. If my remaining economic life is based on that then it does assume maintenance moving forward. Maintenance in the form of renovation. I have never in my market seen a 30 year old row home razed and someone purchase a tiny lot sandwiched between other town homes.

Unless REL means: if not maintained and the property just sits vacant, how long will it continue to add value to the site.

The idea of taking total life of lets say 60 and determining effective age of 33 thus leaving 27 years is, in my opinion, not REL, but useful life. Useful -vs Economic
or perhaps a case of physical life vs economic life -

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
So Rex and others are correct - what do you see for TEL's in the marketplace? IOW, are older homes being gentrified, or are they being torn down? In estimating TEL, we use the TEL of 'similar structures', then subtract that from the subject's effective age to get REL for the subject.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
REL does. If renovation occurs, then the Remaining economic (i.e.- "useful") life is extended. @gregb posted a graph showing a typical example
in my opinion, not REL, but useful life. Useful -vs Economic
You have Physical life and you have Economic life. Useful is economic. About the time I started appraising, on my way to Bentonville, Walmart built a warehouse about 3 or 4 miles out of town on a narrow 2 lane road. Nearby someone built a new brick home on 40 acres. Less than 15 years later in the midst of the boom, the 40 acres sold, and someone built a subdivision. They tore down this 15 year old house. That house had a remaining physical life of decades. But it had reached the end of its economic life. Not easy to predict. But the 40 acres was originally agri land, probably worth about $2000 / acre. I just appraised an executive property on 30 acres, and I found 3 comps. One was a house which sold on 20 acres and immediately converted into a small office. I found 2 others in the 20 to 40 acre range that were still residential with horse and cattle equipment. The first basically had met the end of its economic life as a house. It was predictable being on a major state highway. The other two are very near the highways, but both were on dirt roads although the land sold for $30,000 an acre or so. One, in fact, was only a half mile from that warehouse I talked about.

So context is necessary when determining HBU. But once I've selected good comparables, I can extract effective age from the property by market extraction, and predict the total life. (If my comps are losing value at 2% per year the 100/2 = 50 TEL. Or you could use a table if you like) The REL is thus Total Economic Life - Effective Age = Remaining Economic Life. How long a structure will stand if left alone...well, who knows? This old house hasn't been lived in since the early 1990s.
PIXX0183 (Medium) (Small).JPG

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The"E" in REL refers to an economic construct which will include, but not be limited to, the physical factors. The REL of a 60-yr old structure in beater condition can (on rare occasion) be different from even one block to the next due to external conditions. The beater that's located outside the gated community may have an indefinite REL whilst the model match in the same condition but located the gated community may already be zeroed out. That would be an extreme example but it does demonstrate the point that changing the location from one neighborhood or one community or one state to another can change the REL.

Salty

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
In my case - if this town home was left to sit, it would be not habitable within 5 years as the roof would leak, etc.... (Its already a C5). I interpret this to mean the REL to be 5 years plus any amount of time the vacant uninhabitable property will continue to add value to the site with no further maintenance. Is that right?

Or do I say that since it is common for these vacant foreclosures to be renovated, the REL would easily be 30+ since the new renovation would bring the property up to C2 condition. In this case the REL is based on a prediction that the home will be purchased and renovated.

I do think when we see in the cost manuals the total life of 60 years that means regular maintenance.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
In my case - if this town home was left to sit, it would be not habitable within 5 years as the roof would leak, etc.... (Its already a C5). I interpret this to mean the REL to be 5 years plus any amount of time the vacant uninhabitable property will continue to add value to the site with no further maintenance. Is that right?

Or do I say that since it is common for these vacant foreclosures to be renovated, the REL would easily be 30+ since the new renovation would bring the property up to C2 condition. In this case the REL is based on a prediction that the home will be purchased and renovated.

I do think when we see in the cost manuals the total life of 60 years that means regular maintenance.
physical life and REL , though they can intersect , are different concepts. A property's physical life/effective age is X years, but it's REL estimate might be Y years, because REL is market driven.. With MV opinions we go with what is typical for a market - ( we can not predict what will happen exactly with any one individual property ).

So if dominant trend is to renovate /maintain townhouses like your subject, then state: physical life / effective age of subject is X years based on the as is condition,. It's REL is estimated at Y years, based on predominate market trend of typical buyers for these properties to renovate and maintain them. .( estimate of REL can be a range )

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks