• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Reliable But Obsolete

What Operating system do you prefer

• Win 7

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Win 10

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I am Apple all the way

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
i'm lucky that none of the keys on my electric typewriter have given out, but not sure i can replace the electric motor if that gives out.
omg, the old folks found this thread. please, win7 was ok, xp was the most quirky system that they put out. i miss my commodore 64, it really was so fast.
i suppose most of you think your phone line internet speed is pretty fast.
some of you, being soo old, probable don't realize how slow your system is. let's not improve productivity.
where did i put that carbon paper? need a copy in my work file folder. i can't understand why the post office takes soo long to deliver my reports.
love reading reading these retro threads.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Agree with Vermonter. I use Linux with Lebre Office and can read and write Microsoft readable and editable text and spreadsheet formats. For the forms software, it is Windows 10 inside a virtual box on the Linux machine. Shut off all the unneeded automatic update and connection adds in Windows.

I do not use laptops, the screens are too small for me and they are too cumbersome to carry all the time. Pad, pen and camera in the field

Bert Craytor

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
So you're saying it's time to throw out the XP machines that are not connected to the internet, hence, have greater security for file retention?

:unsure: Yeah, no.

Well, if you truly do not connect to the internet; however that seems almost impossible. Viruses travel through files and even if you don't directly connect to the internet, you are likely using files that were downloaded from the internet and copied onto your local machine.

Anyway, I just don't see the argument; computers and most software nowadays are pretty cheap. I find that it is when you lag behind in hardware upgrades that the going gets rough. With a Ryzen 9 3950 system, a couple of the latest high speed SSDs, and automatics Windows updates and backups you won't be aware of updates.

I like the windows backup from "Libraries". I put all of my working folders under Windows "Documents" folder and configure automatic backups to a separate high speed SSD:

Yea, 7,000Mb/sec sequential. But you will need PCIe Gen4.

So, look, I'm using Alamode and accidentally overwrite my entire workfile. - I just go into windows and restore the last back up from 1 hour ago - depending on how often I have it back up. And it does this for all folders I have under Documents.

Of course I have engineered my Documents folders to store by year, location and so on with all kinds of scripts.

"Pin to Quick Access" by right clicking on any folder, no matter how deep in the folder hierarchy, pulls up under Windows "Quick Access" to make it easily available. I pull and push folders in and out of Quick Access as I start work on appraisals and then complete them.

Windows is very powerful. But I would recommend keeping the hardware up to speed.

I also use Linux (I've used most operating systems. Right now, Red Hat, since it is free, is probably the best Linux, IMO). You can configure virtualization ... but a single Windows 10 system on a powerful computer will give you great advantages.

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
Agree with Vermonter. I use Linux with Lebre Office and can read and write Microsoft readable and editable text and spreadsheet formats. For the forms software, it is Windows 10 inside a virtual box on the Linux machine. Shut off all the unneeded automatic update and connection adds in Windows.

I do not use laptops, the screens are too small for me and they are too cumbersome to carry all the time. Pad, pen and camera in the field

I'm actually starting to wonder if it wouldn't be wise to run the appraisal software in a virtual machine even if your already on windows? The VM is technically similar to a container/sandbox making it much more difficult to corrupt/infect/screw up your appraisal software.

I've been running the same W10 VM for 3 years on 3 different operating systems on 2 different pc builds and it's super solid. I even let it update whenever. I think not using it for anything but the software (no email, no web browsing, no downloads) keeps it super clean, stable and fast.

I've used most operating systems. Right now, Red Hat, since it is free, is probably the best Linux, IMO

Actually Red Hat is one of the few Linux distros that is NOT free.

While it can be stable for the average office drone, there are far better options out there.

Bert Craytor

Professional Status
State
California
I'm actually starting to wonder if it wouldn't be wise to run the appraisal software in a virtual machine even if your already on windows? The VM is technically similar to a container/sandbox making it much more difficult to corrupt/infect/screw up your appraisal software.

I've been running the same W10 VM for 3 years on 3 different operating systems on 2 different pc builds and it's super solid. I even let it update whenever. I think not using it for anything but the software (no email, no web browsing, no downloads) keeps it super clean, stable and fast.

Actually Red Hat is one of the few Linux distros that is NOT free.

While it can be stable for the average office drone, there are far better options out there.

You haven't heard. RedHat discontinued CentOS and instead made RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) free for small development systems of less than 16 servers. ... Anybody can be a developer.

So, yes, it is a very good deal now. Red Hat is very mainstream of course.

Last edited:

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
You haven't heard. RedHat discontinued CentOS and instead made RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) free for small development systems of less than 16 servers. ... Anybody can be a developer.

So, yes, it is a very good deal now. Red Hat is very mainstream of course.
I knew about CentOS but didn't know they went no fee on RH. It's still not free as in "free and open source"....it's proprietary so you might as well stay on windows.

One of the many Ubuntu flavors would be a better choice for freedom, stability and security.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
i miss my commodore 64, it really was so fast.
I could not out type my old WordPerfect DOS versions (back then I was a 100 wpm typist) but I frequently was typing two or three words ahead of the early Windows versions of WP and Word.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I knew about CentOS but didn't know they went no fee on RH. It's still not free as in "free and open source"....it's proprietary so you might as well stay on windows.

One of the many Ubuntu flavors would be a better choice for freedom, stability and security.
That's what I'm considering for my next box.

I use a VM on one of my boxes for my diagram program but that's the only application I use that I need Windows for. I can use Libre for my Word and Excel apps. My son built an executable VM that boots a stripped down version of W7 and my diagram program and a generic PDF generator that installs off a USB stick.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks