• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Relocating to different state.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
This response is not going to help you relocate but may give you some additional things to take into consideration before you up-root the family.

This is very difficult , and so many issues involved. My wife's only good advice was, if you want to relocate then you choose the worst time of the year in the dead of winter to visit and spend a minimum of two to four weeks there by yourself and if you still like it I will consider it and then I will take a look.

One question is where were you born and raised ? often that is a good place to start because you are familiar with its positives and negatives, also do you have any friends in other areas that you believe will be honest enough to tell you the positives and negatives But remember many folks who are miserable love company.

Anyway not to get political but in today's environment if your wife or older children lean the way that most Pacific West Coast States do , including the urban areas of California and If you or your wife lean heavy Blue then you probably don't want to be in a community of people that will send either you or them or both insane. I am more conservative and I do not get upset about politics, and I enjoy arguing and debating with New York City folks including my wife who is royal blue and also her Eugene Oregon and Pittsburgh area sister and relatives, but throw them in a small town in the Mid West or the South and I would have to have them all locked up and medicated and shipped back out to CALI on a red-eye. The point is in the past these were not such important issues but today especially with a wife, everyone has to be on board. I have a friend who is a family and marriage councilor and he says his business has doubled over the last 6 years due to politics and this year Covid-19 meltdowns. Also you dont want to get into a community where business and schools are in constant lock-downs , its hard enough to adapt to a new community or State even without these new barriers. Send a guy like me to New York City and after three or four weeks bad things may happen.

So now its down to narrowing down, to the North, East, West or South and thats a lot of land to travel, so my thoughts are take it slow and easy, you don't want to end up like the guy on the Green acres TV Show with a Manhattan Wife and a man who had never operated a tractor , plowed snow, bailed hay or had put chains on a car or truck. One bad move and , divorces, and problems with kids, especially teens or adult children can spin out of control real quickly and what ever you do don't take a mother in law with you :)

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Lee I'm curious you moved states. Did you work with another appraiser for some time to gain competency or spend months looking around.

I was here for about 4.5 years before I got into appraising. So no issues there.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
Come to California. Land of opportunities where dreams come true. And they keep coming.

James Mpls

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Gets cold here, but not as much as it used to. TONS of fresh water, lakes, country, cities, higher education, good medical facilities, lots of work opportunities, in demand real estate, and VERY FEW natural disasters of any type. Getting increasingly hard to find areas that can say that...

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks