• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

remote covered arenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmguy

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
Has anyone done any work involving large covered roping arenas? I have done a number within 100 miles or so of Houston and typically you have guys that are training and providing lessons, etc., so there is some demand.

A buddy called me on a job in a somewhat remote area and he has a proposed construction 30,000 sf covered roping arena with bucking chutes, stands, the whole enchilada. He is trying to identify external/functional. I have some sales I will send, but mine probably won't have the same issues as his, because my area is pretty heavy into horses and there are a bunch of covered arenas.

The land owner is just a rich doctor with a daughter that wants to rope. Just checking to see if any of yall have had a similar assignment.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Has anyone done any work involving large covered roping arenas? I have done a number within 100 miles or so of Houston and typically you have guys that are training and providing lessons, etc., so there is some demand.

A buddy called me on a job in a somewhat remote area and he has a proposed construction 30,000 sf covered roping arena with bucking chutes, stands, the whole enchilada. He is trying to identify external/functional. I have some sales I will send, but mine probably won't have the same issues as his, because my area is pretty heavy into horses and there are a bunch of covered arenas.

The land owner is just a rich doctor with a daughter that wants to rope. Just checking to see if any of yall have had a similar assignment.

Hard one for sure.

look to other uses when the kid decides she doesn't want to rope, it takes about one or two years. If they stay with it that long then she will stay with it for life.

there are a bunch of them around the country. Greenwood arena in Mo. Converted to storage. One north of Olathe, Kan. coverted to commercial storage was bought from the RTC for a nickle on the dollar. One north of Denver converted to storage. One outside of Lincon, Ne, converted to commercial manufacturing. Phonix has several of the old arabin farms that were converted. May have one or two producing income but that is very rare. Some of the top end Rodeo people teach but they don't show a profit on the building.

I think if you look real close at the ones in your area you will find most have someone supporting the cost of operation.

I don't think it will make any return on the investment or even return of investment.

Look at what T. Turners son put into the Lazy E Arena in Ok. It has yet to pay for itself.

I have never seen one of these make a profit unless converted. There are a lot setting empty in just about every state of the Union. Two just across the boarder in Iowa. Another one converted to trailer manufacturing there.

I did one down by Dodgeville a couple of years ago. Dad died and the place is now storing hay.

Last edited:

farmguy

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
Thanks I think several of those might be of interest to him. I will pass the info along and he can run it down.

He and I visited about other uses. It is remote enough most commercial type uses are out. It's on about 500 acres so it could cover some working pens, allow for equipment storage (a lot of equipment), hay, or all of the above under one roof.

You're right on most covered arenas not cash flowing, but we have a good many sales in our area where they contribute an amount close enough to physically depreciated value it's hard to argue external/functional. Most of them are 20,000 sf or less however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks