• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

remove a photo per bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

raquel berrios

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
HI

A bank is asking me to address some conditions on a appraisal and
to remove the pictures of the kitchen from the appraisal. Now the pictures
are of a brand new kitchen without appliances. Is this common for a bank to ask you to remove a photo and the questions is should i. They say they do not require interior photos. How do i protect myself.

Raquel

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
They may not require it, but there is no reason that I am aware of as to why the photo can not be included (as they can always elect to ignore the photo if they choose).

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
No requirement for photos unless in the sow, but if you feel the photos are needed to make a point in the appraisal. The simple fact is; it is the way you feel the appraisal should be written and what should be inclueded. Its you call.

Just my thinking.:shrug:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
R - "conditions"???? If the conditions referred to include revising the opinion of CONDITION or possibly Functional Obsolescence, Inadequacy? - Curable i.e. appliances...... demonstrated via the photos.......

a. did that request come directly from a Bank ?

b. did that request come from a mortgage broker?

c. did that request come from an AMC ?

d. how essential are they, in YOUR opinion, as support for reliable Analysis and the Accurate Description of the Subject in your report?

I'm wondering what the "Conditions"/ Stips included and whether this request reflects an attempt to Increase the Value Opinion or simply requests for additional comments, revision to possibly unclear comments, and/or information.

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
If there is nothing adverse about the kitchen, except the missing appliances, I see no reason not to remove the photos for the client. Be sure you discuss the lack of appliances - are appliances typically included in the sales in your area - in my area, appliances are typically included and have no value except to aid in the bargaining process. Are the appliances on order, not yet delivered? Is there a place for a built-in dishwasher, but no dishwasher, therefore, creating a cost to cure.

Make sure to keep the photos in your files just in case. I do have some clients that prefer not to have the photos included as they feel it can influence the underwriter, i.e., bad housekeeping, poor decorating. But, if the photo is not needed to show deferred maintenance, I don't thinik they are asking you to do anything sinister.

William K

Professional Status
State
Illinois
If the Bank does not require interior photos and you have not provided interior photos in the past to this bank then I would remove them and keep them as part of your file work. Make sure you have the request in writing and keep it as part of you file copy.

I ran across a situation with a lender that had the same request, it seems that when they were audited the question came up that it could be thought of as discriminatory if interior photos were included in some but not all appraisals. The auditor cited that some appraisals in their files stated remodeled kitchens and bathrooms but did not include interior photos while others did and they ( lender) should stick to their written policy or it could lead to problems if asked to explain why they declined a loan when interior photos showed the "new kitchen" but approved a loan when no picture was included.

Just another take and explanation

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
What does "brand new" (kitchen) mean ?
How old is the (rest of the) house ?
What is this bank's intended use for your report ?
Shall we assume that you are reporting w/ a Fannie form ?
Describe the fear that the bank has about your photo showing the VERY SAME THING that your text wording has also described ?
What is your understanding about imminent completion of this kitchen ?
Have you valued the property as if these appliances were (soon to be) installed and the photo shows otherwise ?
Have you taken such an adjustment across the grid for the lack of appliances as so seen by you and the included photo ?
Does this bank NOT believe that the property owner WILL complete the kitchen since it is obvious that they can not cook a meal, or operate a dishwasher, or refridgerate the meat and the milk ?
What else don't we know about this bank's business relationship with the property owner ?

This included photo represents the status of that property....ON THE DATE THAT YOU WERE THERE TO OBSERVE ALL CONDITIONS !
This kitchen thing is not deferred maintenance.....it is an updating process that is NOT YET completed. Perhaps you should use a Check Box 3 with reference to NO appliances in kitchen, and give them that.
I'm sure the bank's rep will understand and agree.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I would think a lack of appliances creates a functional problem someone might want covered up. Ask for the request, in writing, from the underwriter.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Like Mike said, demand the request in writing. If they actually do that, then you need to determine if you can comply with the request an not be misleading. Likely they will not provide a written request. If they do, and you remove the photo, add a copy of the request in an addendum.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I can think of ZERO good reasons to remove a photo and MANY bad reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks