• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Removing negative observations from report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRichmond

Freshman Member
How do you folks handle this?

"All I need is the water damage statement removed from the appraisal if that
is cool. Just got a call from the processor saying that was still on and I
must have not read your e-mail carefully or I would have seen it was still
on.

Can you do that for me and refax?"

I am going to tell him that I would be liable for the repair if I saw it and did not put it in the report so no I won't take it out.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
WHAT! And be honest? Why would anyone want to do that? I am so sick of such, I want to stick my hand thru that tiny little phone wire and grab somebody by the neck and shake them...What part of NO do they not understand?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
While you are at it, don't mention that the propety was listed earlier this year. And, don't make any comments about the foundation since you are not an engineer either. Just put "I dunno" in all the blanks.

Remember, the appraiser is supposed to be the unbiased party in the transaction. We are supposed to be the Joe Friday's of the mortgage business. "Just the facts, ma'am" Instead I am beginning to believe that many of us are the jellyfish of the mortgage ocean. No backbone, floating around aimlessly and real slimy.

This post is not directed at you Mark. It just drives me nuts that they would ask, because that means they expect it done and have had it done that way in the past with a large percentage of appraisers succombing to their wishes.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:evil: Yup, the correct answer is
WHAT PART OF NO DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!

Hang in there Mark, There are more than a few of us who could be buried under 'the last Honest Appraiser headstone',

the jelly-fish will get the ones that read: 'flowed with the tide and folded'

Who is it, Dolman??
with the "swim up stream, the polution gets worse as you go down?" signoff?

Congratulations, Trout! :wink:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
If it is a lender I don't really like or care if they go else where, I say NO. :p If it is one of my best "A" lenders....... Oh, wait..... My best "A" lenders wouldn't ax for a ridiculous "delete that comment". 8)

Paul in bama

Freshman Member
This is obviously another case of the 'third party' thing I was talking about. They want it out of the report so that they can give the investor the shaft. These kind of companies need to be put out of business plain and simple.

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Tim (Texas) said:
"... many of us are the jellyfish of the mortgage ocean. No backbone, floating around aimlessly and real slimy."

"JELLYFISH OF THE MORTGAGE OCEAN"

Good metaphor, Tim!

Thomas N. Morgan
Ocala, FL

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
The ones I find humorous are when the mortgage vermin calls and wants the highest and best use changed to SFR when it is something other than SFR.

Here is a thought:

4" of a** crack and you are a plumber.

6" of a** crack and you are a truck driver.

The question is: How far up the appraisers a** does the mortgage vermin have to shove there fist until the appraiser is a "hand puppet"?

Sorry guys. I like the jellyfish metaphor. But this issue brings out the war paint.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I did a farm appraisal once and the banker asked the Realtor to ask me to remove negative comments because she did not like negative comments in her appraisal files. The comments had to do with marketability due to poor access, which directly affected value and risk. I had two choices: Tell the banker to mind her own damn business and run the bank and let me do the appraising in which case I would be out of business, or do as she instructed. I had no recourse other than the above-mentioned choices.
I didn't remove the comments. This same bank use to call me for an appraisal and if I hit the number I got a check within a week. If I didn't hit the number they handed the borrower the appraisal and the bill and the collection was my problem. If this is not gross influencing I have never seen gross influencing of an appraiser. Finally, I just stopped doing work for them.
Here is my take on this: I blame this on the government and regulators. If they create a corruptible system with no recourse for the appraiser against the regulated lender that holds a power position over the appraiser, then the government and regulators can expect nothing but corruption and bad results. The purpose of Title XI was to protect the banking system, so they passed regulations to regulate appraisers but gave them no safeguards against corrupt bankers that hold the power position. An example is a baseball umpire. If every time the umpire refuses to change his mind or ignore the rules when somebody disagrees with him and can be fired by the aggrieved party, then that is a corruptible system. The only method of correcting this system is to make the umpire the final authority on the field and make rules with stiff penalties for any person or team that interferes with the umpire. A good rule would be: If you question the umpire for obeying the regulations and enforcing the rules that we the baseball commission imposed on him then you will pay the price. No appeals, no lawyers, no political intervention and we the regulators will back you up 100%.
The only problem I have had with the bank I presently appraise for is that if I don't hit the number, it is about six months or longer before I get paid sometimes. About three months ago I had $3,300 in bills over 90 days old none of which hit the number. I got a check the other day 18 months past due owed by the person that owns most of the auto dealership buildings in this region a number of which I had appraised. Excuse given was: We haven't closed the loan yet. I don't give a damn if they never close the loan. Not paying the appraier in a timely manner is coercion per and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks