• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Rental Survey (FHA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Fenesan

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
I received an order to do a rental survey for a property that will be an FHA transaction. Do I need to go out inspect the property? And is there anything different that we need to do for an FHA transaction?

Thanks for your help in advance.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
What is a rental survey? Are they wanting a comparable rent schedule?

Daniel Fenesan

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
Yes...Sorry, people call them different things...I guess around here thats what they call it....

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
In that case, Yes. You should go and inspect the interior and exterior of the subject property as to know what type of rental comps you are going to choose. You will need to know if there are any items of deferred maintenance or functional obsloescence. Just like doing an inspection. You may not need to measure, but I would take photos and log in the quality and condition of the dwelling. You will be doing an appraisal if you are giving an opinion of market rent for the subject property.

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Rental Survey or Rent Schedule, either way coming from an Appraiser, it is an appraisal. Instead of Market Value, your assignment is to form an opinion of Rental Value. Be sure to follow USPAP, including Standard 1 & Standard 2.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
There is nothing in USPAP or any supplemental standards that I am aware of that would require you to actually physically inspect a property that you are doing a rent schedule on. Even though expressing an opinion of market rent is, without question, an appriaisal, USPAP does not require that a physical inspection be done in order to appraise a property. Now, if credible sources of information are not available that would allow you to do a credible rent schedule without makng a physical inspection, or if the agreed upon SOW requires a physical inspection, then, by all means, a physical inspection is required. In any case you should get the client to agree to an appropriate SOW and you should fully disclose what you did and did not do in order to develop your opinion of the market rent and also disclose any EA's used in the report. Additionally, do not forget to include the required certifications and definitions of market rent in your report.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Tim has given you some very good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks