• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Repair estimate software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Henry

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I just purchased the 2008 National Renovation & Insurance Repair Estimator and it is way too complex for me. I simply need a software solution where I can put a zip code in and say windows or remodel bathroom and it will give me a cost estimate including all that’s installed in the job. The most I want to be asked is how big the house is or how many windows in the home. The estimator I have now that was recommended here is way to convoluted. Please help.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I just purchased the 2008 National Renovation & Insurance Repair Estimator and it is way too complex for me. I simply need a software solution where I can put a zip code in and say windows or remodel bathroom and it will give me a cost estimate including all that’s installed in the job. The most I want to be asked is how big the house is or how many windows in the home. The estimator I have now that was recommended here is way to convoluted. Please help.

Wayne,

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. How big is the window, what quality? How large is the bath? Vinyl or ceramic on the floor, how MUCH floor, hardboard, epoxy, tile or marble in the shower? Too many variables for such a simplistic approach. I use the estimator you mention and find it easy to use.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
I own that software, and it is MUCH too difficult to use.

What I've done is to segregate average costs using M&S remodeling handbook, for example figures might be:

New interior HC door = $225 installed
Repaint interior of home (1200-1600 sq.ft. home) = $2600

I set up a spreadsheet with common repairs and cost per unit
Excel does the multiplication & sums up the total,
I pop that grid into a Word document whiich has some explanation of what it represents.
Print new doc to PDF, and insert into report.
Attached is a zipped excel file w/o any cost figures

Last edited:

PLCG

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I took a look at that online. What I saw was a book and a cd for the program.

Can anyone tell me if the costs are adjusted for geographic location and whether there are any updates throughout the year?

Ron Howson

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I have the National Repair and Remodeling Estimator and the National Construction Estimator. Craftsman puts it out. It's okay, has a tutorial, I told a friend about it and they got it and can't figure it out. So ??? I guess if you get something and can figure out how to use it, it's a good program.

I think they were about 80 bucks each at Barnes and Nobles, plus coffee, plus scone, plus CDs, plus next door was a Best Buy - so plus new camera which I didn't like so gave to my son to take to Iraq, plus shipping, plus a case, plus the little memory thingy so you can take more than 12 pictures, plus a bunch of magazines and books for him to read while he is there etc. etc. etc. So I guess it was really expensive after all.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I took a look at that online. What I saw was a book and a cd for the program.

Can anyone tell me if the costs are adjusted for geographic location and whether there are any updates throughout the year?

Yes, and yes.

PLCG

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Tom!

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I used simsol when I was an adjuster. It wasn't too hard once you got the hang of it.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Wayne,

You might want to give it another chance. Its really pretty simple when you get used to it. In general, you just do a text search for the component you are looking for, say drywall. You will get a number of options. Recently I did a Cat pee house and had to figure remove, replace and finish. You just right click on the particular entry, enter the number of units you are concerned with and click "add to estimate". Just repeat for all your components and hit print. It really is simple as long as you know what you have to consider. I had to figure remove and replace for drywall, carpet and pad, trim, finishing the drywall, and sealing the slab. It took about 10 min for the whole project, made a nice addendum, and provided a lot of credibility to support my market derived figures. I really do reccomend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks