• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reported To The State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrum

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
Has anyone ever come across an appraisal that was so bad you felt the appraiser should not be working in the profession?
Has anyone ever filed a complaint with their state on another appraiser?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Yes Yes....but it has to be really bad for it to proceed. And even then, the culprit in one case I was involved in, simply gave up his reciprocal license and kept his home license without penalty. I understand he was also similarly treated in Missouri after testifying in court there. No matter. No skin off his home license.

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I don't have a problem reporting someone to the state if the appraisal warrants it. Over the almost 30 years of licensing, I've probably reported over a dozen appraisers and a couple lost their licenses. I didn't cause them to loose their license-they did. If the report is bad and I turn it in, the state will likely require additional education and perhaps a fine but now the appraiser has been given notice. If the report is outright fraud then they are history.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I started putting together a complain on one report I came across (part of a group of three NNN drug stores). That was a couple of years ago. In the end I never followed through. Most of the issues were just sloppiness (cloned sections from other related reports). The sales and income approaches were fine but on one report there was a land sale that was basically made up. This was one of two closed land sales with a third listing. The appraiser was from out of state and I suspect they may have had an assistant writing the report. Supposedly a commercial land sale near downtown in a city of about 100,000. Parcel number showed it was actually a residential lot a few miles outside of town in an agricultural area and the price represented the sale of the lot and contract to build a home on it. Source of confirmation was supposedly the county assessor (from a different county 75 miles away) in a non-disclosure state.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In California, I've heard of horror stories how one appraiser reported and then the government agency put the "burden" on the accuser to explain the bad appraisal. Back then California didn't have that much money and short staff. I don't know if it's different now.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Only filed one complaint, I don't look at other reports very often and don't if I don't have to. The complaint I filed was because the appraiser had filed a complaint against me, alleging the value was too high. Subject sold during the complaint process within $2000 of my value and $40,000 more than the other appraisal. The state dropped my complaint against the other appraiser with no reason. I have little faith in the complaint process.

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
Only filed one complaint, I don't look at other reports very often and don't if I don't have to. The complaint I filed was because the appraiser had filed a complaint against me, alleging the value was too high. Subject sold during the complaint process within $2000 of my value and $40,000 more than the other appraisal. The state dropped my complaint against the other appraiser with no reason. I have little faith in the complaint process.

Done it twice and pretty much had the same experience. Both reports were outright fraud and almost nothing in the report was accurate according to my research. Sent the reports to my contact at the board and he said they'd look into it. Both appraisers eventually lost their licenses, but nothing in the boards records indicated it had anything to do with the reports I sent. Maybe I put them on the radar, but it seemed pretty odd that nothing came of it.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Yes. But, I have spent even more time assisting appraisers who have had complaints filed against them, often for very minor issues or someones idea of what USPAP says, but doesn't say at all. The few I have filed were valid complaints and the state went ver easy on them, which i had no objection to as long as it was fair and equitable. In my state of Virginia it can be an anonymous complaint, which i disagree with but have learned to live with. The state board of Virginia is a reactive board, not proactive, meaning they do not go looking for things to file complaints about, unlike some state boards. That I agree with. Make sure if you file a complaint that you are clean as a whistle in your own practice.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
IMO everybody and anybody can take a shot at appraiser's, therefore, I do not feel my time is spent wisely chasing other appraiser's and I do not do review work to seek that avenue of work.

Funny thing is if you go back and look at some of your own work, you may find differences, that if you did it today you might change. Then again, with independent thoughts & interpretations (and there is a wide variety) anything can be misinterpreted.

Fraud is a word that applies to some, but not everyone and therefore, I find Fraud as interesting as USPAP / FIRREA and other famous writings.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
The state dropped my complaint against the other appraiser with no reason.
Likely because they filed against you first...

Our state had a lot of complaints from reviewers. The state requested the reviews. The end result was more reviewer got sanctioned than OA...sooo... I think a lot of folks don't realize how dangerous it is to file a complaint where you are known. Personally, I know an appraiser that was given the kid gloves treatment and sanctioned twice - not too severely in either case, but eventually lost his client base and retired. But I've known appraisers who spent a fortune in legal fees to clear their name from ridiculous charges. And that bullseye created by accepting a slap on the wrist means FOREVER you will be unable to testify in court, are more likely to be threated with another complaint, or will find E & O impossible to afford. Those records are there forever. I doubt you can even get a court or the governor to expunge such records unlike simply killing someone and getting a pardon years later. I would simply resign my license first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks