• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reports Sent Back--What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
There are some good LO's and then there are lousy LO's.

So I do a report, house next to commercial retail uses
located adjacent to a highway. Okay house, but I can
find nice (new) houses in decent neighborhoods which
sell for less. House is being sold by owner, reluctantly.

And I come in under sales price. Loan officer calls and
announces he "can't use the reports" and is sending them
back. I tell him I don't understand what good that is going
to do. He tells me he's going to get another report. I say,
well that's your business. You are paying me for my report, right?
He says, 'Yeah, I guess so.'

So a week later I get the reports in the mail. And you know, I
felt offended. Today the LO left a message and wants to "talk" about
some 'extenduating circumstances'. And I'm thinking, what the
hell do I care.

So you be the appraiser----what would you do?

1. Write him a polite letter telling him I thought his actions
were childish and that I've decided not to do work for
his mortgage brokerage company anymore. And pay your
last bill with me.

2. Roll. Rope-a-dope. Indulge his yammering.
Yeah that's my opinion of value and pay your
last bill with me.

3. Do nothing. I do reports, I can't make everyone happy.
Pay your last bill. Charge higher fees for this guy in the
future.

4. Other suggestions.

elliott

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
So a week later I get the reports in the mail. And you know, I
felt offended.

Have a cold one, relax, and see if he pays. If he does, great! You have your money, and it looks like you just lost a client due to being honest. If he doesn't pay, do what you can to get the money, because you have just lost a client due to being honest. :wink:
:beer:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
1. Take a deep breath.
2. You might go ahead and drop a polite note to said LO indicating your willingness to discuss the report, but that regardless of the 'extenuatingcircumstances' he mentions that you expect reimbursement for your services rendered by return mail.
3. What ever else you do, have a BIG sign taped in front of you when you have this 'discussion' of extenuating circumstances, that says in large print, REMAIN CALM. Try for some soothing background music and a metal picture or an actual one!! (whatever works for you) of what ever calms you. Nutso as this sounds you can also try getting some essance of pure orange oil, and place a few drops into warm water.

were it me I'd do all 4 as I'd tend towards a real fast escalation to :crazyeyes: :eek:nfire: :2gunfire: regardless of the reason/source/cause of his freaking EC's...

4. Under no circumstances (extenuatin' or not) let this jerk brow beat you into accepting less than your billed amount for your services.

(((BTW the essence of orange really DOES work and they are using it in mental hospitals these days :wink: ))) Conside it preventative medicine!

bobburnitt

My experience is, he won't ever call you back. Problem solved, except you got fired for doing what you were hired to do.

Don't make value, end of trail, happens every time.

BB

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Elliott, ......Join the rest of us who have sent in a report with a value short of expectations. Certainly this client is distraught, dejected, and has had his feelings hurt. Yes, we feel his pain. If he were truly motivated, and interested in his client's situation, he would say that all is not lost and go out and seek another opinion. That, is no doubt what he will do......but first he has to whimper about it. So, do you have a solid order from him, with address, date, your fee and a signature on it ? I am sure you do. And, he told you that he would still be paying anyway, yes ? I guess you wait for that to occur....then I would immediately send him back the reports he ordered with a note saying that he will probably want to use these now. Wouldn't that be a kick if the next report came in $5K less than your's ?! You did what you were asked to do, and deserve to be paid. As for extenuating circumstances....who knows what's up his sleeve. Maybe he is about to have a breakdown.....and you can share a Dr. Phil moment with him, and help him get back on his feet again ! Best wishes.

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
Good advice from all above. One more thought - if he's a good client, or at least he has been in the past, try giving him a few days to cool down. Sometimes LO's get understandably upset when they are losing a commission - the best of the bunch will cool off and realize that you were just doing your job. You'll know by wheter he pays you without any trouble and whether he orders more work.

Another thought; I've been fired by several who later wanted me back after they had grief caused by appraisers who were not doing as good of a job. Basically, I think it works like this: you tick someone off and lose their business, then the next appraiser ticks them off and you get them back. Don't sweat the small stuff.

The exception, of course, is the real sleazy LO's who try to find the sleaziest appraisers they can. Who wants to work for them anyway?

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
All good advice above.

My gut level reaction would be to talk because I hate to loose a client no matter how big a horse’s patootie they are.

I'd have a sit down with him, listen to the story, see if there is really anything that is relevant to the report in what he has to say and if there is, 1) offer to do an update utilizing the new information and 2) scold him a little for withholding this info from you in the first place.

If there is nothing relevant, use the sit-down time to point out to him the rock and hard place you are in when you are expected to "meet a value". Reiterate your determination to adhere to the standards, to the guidelines involved and to provide good, reliable reports to him. Be firm, friendly and professional in your attitude.

The worse thing that can happen is that you will never see another piece of business from him. The best thing is that he will have a better understanding of who he is dealing with and want to continue to place orders with you.

The worse case scenario is not the end of the world or even your business, so don't let it weigh on you. To stop giving you business is his decision and it is not because of anything you did wrong. That you have no control over so just let it go and focus on providing excellent quality work to your other clients.

jtrotta

take em out fer breakfast, before he gits there order him an OJ & Champagne (have them prep #2 & #3), this will begin ta loosin him up so that he can fully understand yer position :lol: , anyone slightly intoxicated early in the am are easier ta work :) . After #2 & #3- you can begin ta lure him slowly over to providing yer Fee Due :? as he will better understand yer position (or so he thinks-and makes this a fun meeting-laughing a lot) and yer grand finally, slide the check over ta him and say; Thanks fer the invite lets do it again soon (not really).

Even if ya don't git paid, ya got him plasterd 8O ; he'll loose a days worth of opportunity time and that could be big time Benjamins :wink: - and you've played their game ta the max - self serving satisfaction is the most fun in life :lol: :lol:

good luck

8)

Pine Tree

Professional Status
State
Maine
Hi EliottReed....

What I would Do?

Place a call to his voice mail and say the only extenutingcircumstance that I can see is that a check did not accompany the returned reports! Do I have to alert the banking commission ( or other applicable agency) or will a check be recieved in the next day's mail?

As for losing this client WHO NEEDS him??? spend more time with the quality PAYING clients...my empathy!
Peace, W

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
Number 3

He is used your opinion of value to determine that it wont help him scam a funding company. He will now have to find and accomplice to do so. So I say he has already used the report and owes you for the work. Will you get paid? Probally not.

I would offer a discount to write it off. Mabye he will bite and what are you doing giving this guy credit for anyway. You know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks