• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Request For Mh Addendum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compass Rose

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I completed an appraisal on a manufactured home for a large bank in my area in mid June. Today I get a call out of the blue from another lender stating that they need a "mobile home addendum". After further questioning, what she really wants is the manufactured home checklist... the one Jo Ann says not to use! Not the new addendum that is coming out. I told her that it was not required and since she was not my client, that I was not obligated to complete it.

She told me that she has been in the business for a long time and that FNMA requires it and that the borrower IS my client. I corrected her and told her that the original lender was my client and I have done many manufactured home appraisals without it.

Anyway, she got a bit upset with me and is going to have someone else call me. I suggested she hire another appraiser to complete this form.

1. Am I wrong to refuse to do this?
2. Should I suggest that I will do it for an additional fee?
3. What would you do?

I do not know how they got a copy of the appraisal and she did mention that "they really should have their name on it" :huh:

Thanks in advance!
Linda

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
IMO, You did the right thing and the bimbo on the phone doesn't know what she's talking about.

No, you don't change or add anything to a report you did for someone else! In fact, you don't even discuss it with someone other than the client named on the report. Let Ms Bimbo put that in her pipe and smoke it.

Now..... If they would like a new appraisal and report, my discounted fee is $zzz.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
You might even print out the latest USPAP regarding "reliance" letters--see the FAQs at the top of the General Discussion forum. And then fax it to your "friend". New client, new assignment, even a new effective date if you decide that is what you want to do. Once your original report went out the door--it became the property of that original client and no longer yours to do anything with. And a statement after almost every question on her prize checklist (which has never been a Fannie Mae requirement) that the appraiser is not qualified to answer that question. The lender needs to contact an engineer for the information. If she orders a new assignment--use the 1004C if your software already has it, even though it is not necessary until after August 24. It has Fannie Maes name and form number at the bottom, which you could point out to her!

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Linda,
You shouldn't have discussed the report with her if she wasn't your client. I would have told her that after I received a written instruction from my client I would be glad to discuss the situation with her as well as prepare any addendum she wished after payment of the appropriate fee.

Did you chase away a potential source of future work?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
She is not your client and you are not permitted to discuss the appraisal with her. Now, if they were your client, FNMA does not require the manufactured home check list. That is a lender requirement and it is up to you whether you fill it out or how you fill it out. Just don't step outside the boundaries of your expertise, (soil conditions, frost lines, foundation designed by an engineer, etc).

If this new lender is using your prior appraisal to do a loan, then you have no obiligation to this new lender or their requirements. They decided they can use it, let them use it as is.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Question......

Are you sure you didn't do the appraisal for a mortgage broker and the call was from the wholesaler?

Compass Rose

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
The report was for a local branch of a large well known national bank. The call was from a bank I've never heard of, so I don't believe that was the case. I even stated that bank XX was my client.

I don't think they would be a source for future business, due to the fact that it's an out of state buyer (this is a second home) and a bank I've never heard of.

I don't think I violated any confidentiality by the short discussion we had as we really didn't discuss any details of the appraisal.

At any rate, I haven't gotten another call from them (yet), and hopefully, I won't.

I know that they can use the original appraisal without their name on it, even though it clearly states who the intended user is and that use by any one else is prohibited, because I recently attended a seminar where they told us that we are actually better off to let them use it as is than to change it! Apparently, that limits our liability.

Still waiting on the new 1004C form from ACI!

Thanks for all the great replies! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks