• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Requirements to do VA Appraisals

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
What credentials does an appraiser need to do VA appraisals.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
A relative in the VA office.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Thank you David. After a long tough day, you caused me to laugh out loud.

hal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I just stipped laughing. So it is true that you only need to be state licensed and put on the list I assume.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
The key is to get on the list. The other key is for one of the VA appraisers to die and fall off the list a year or so later when they don't renew their license from the grave. Then, if you are lucky enough and have a relative in the VA office you still won't make it.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
One needs to be state licensed/certified
3 Letters of recomendation (after you've been considered)
Samples of work (after you've been considered)

Mandatory 1 day training at regional office and mandatory attendance at regional meetings, no matter where or when (at their discretion)

3 months training and probation period. During this time one of the chief appraisers is on the road with a box of your appraisals checking on your work, i.e. location of comps, obvious repairs that you may have missed, or other

To stay on the panel:
5 day turnaround on each assignment
limited number of times the regional office calls you regarding questions, sloppy work or value appeals (at their discretion)
limited number of times you cause them grief (at their discretion)

I've been on the panel since 1993 and it took me 5 years to get on. I've been with the Philadelphia Regional Office, but recently Philadelphia fee panel members are monitored by the Cleveland Regional Office.

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
I also think you have to have five years total experience. Charlotte can verify that.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
That's right Ben.....I forgot that! Thanks!

Leon Stewart

One needs to be state licensed/certified
3 Letters of recomendation (after you've been considered)
Samples of work (after you've been considered)

Mandatory 1 day training at regional office and mandatory attendance at regional meetings, no matter where or when (at their discretion)

3 months training and probation period. During this time one of the chief appraisers is on the road with a box of your appraisals checking on your work, i.e. location of comps, obvious repairs that you may have missed, or other

To stay on the panel:
5 day turnaround on each assignment
limited number of times the regional office calls you regarding questions, sloppy work or value appeals (at their discretion)
limited number of times you cause them grief (at their discretion)

I've been on the panel since 1993 and it took me 5 years to get on. I've been with the Philadelphia Regional Office, but recently Philadelphia fee panel members are monitored by the Cleveland Regional Office.

Charlotte:

The only part of your statement that's revelent is when you indicated that it took you 5 years to get on, and I think you mentioned several weeks ago on a similar Thread that you had to call them several times per month over this 5 year period to establish relationships with some of the People who had control of the process of putting people on their Fee Panel.

I think you also failed to mentioned that almost all of the qualified Appraisers who apply never get to the stage of going through the steps you mentioned above, which only happens if they are planning to put you on the Panel. They don't run you and themselves through a lot of training procedures just to find out if they are going to hire you.

leon

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
1. State licensed or certified.
2. Minimum 5 years experience
3. Three letters of recommendation
4. Application on file with the regional office (mine was on file for 7 years)
5. Interview with the Chief of the Valuation Section.
6. Two year probationary period
7. Ability to send reports edi
8. Clean record

To stay on the panel you need to meet their timeliness requirements. (8 days for regular assignments, 5 days for liquidation assignments. Those are calendar days and the day you receive the assignment is day one. Really sucks when you get one faxed to you at 4pm on Friday! You are also required to attend the annual training meeting.

Some supplimental requirements but generally just a straight URAR report. You are insulated from "lender pressure" for the most part. One major draw back is you can't collect at the door in in advance and VA will not act as a collection agency for you. You must accept the assignment even from out of state lenders. Fees are set by the VA...liquidation appraisals require additional forms and three listings grided..the pay is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks